Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Will Default To The X.Org Stack, Not Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    a good reason to transit to KDe which will implement wayland as default since the 18.04 release
    Well, what exactly should this tell us? Gnome has much longer and better Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
      Well, what exactly should this tell us? Gnome has much longer and better Wayland support.
      I tell you that ubuntu is unable to implement wayland. that's all, a simple evidence

Comment

I tell you that ubuntu is unable to implement wayland. that's all, a simple evidence
        Ubuntu doesn't implement Wayland support. Gnome does...

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          Ubuntu doesn't implement Wayland support. Gnome does...
          I'm not talking of gnome but I'm talking about ubuntu. The problem concerns with ubuntu.

Comment

I'm not talking of gnome but I'm talking about ubuntu. The problem concerns with ubuntu.
            This is just a decision made by Canonical, because Gnome Wayland has no feature parity like Gnome X. You can't blame Canonical for that. That doesn't make any sense...

Comment

Originally posted by Mabhatter View Post

but no companies support non-LTS releases fully. so they'll just continue to ignore the Wayland bugs. For people that need LTS backed third party software this is terrible for progress. x.org stays, but carries tons of extra baggage not needed for modern systems. Wayland never gets full support because vendors aren't "pushed" to fix the problems.

I say this as I had to use 17.04 to have a stable AMD-based Ryzen/RX system without adding PPAs for everything. They pushed everyone to 17.10 by dropping support for 17.04 this month.. fine, I made the switch and I guess Gnome isn't terrible... so now that I've adjusted my work, all the third party software is just going to push be back to the old way (turn back on x.org) because they decided not to update things yet? great!
              The extra baggage might be not much ; these days a clock applet uses several megabytes of RAM. There could be entire programming languages in xorg, a hidden flight simulator and a PDP/11 simulation in there and you could save as many or more resources by deleting a single wallpaper and removing a clock from a panel or turning off a small useless daemon?

Comment

I think that this will holp back Wayland support in several applications like Steam. So this is bad for all other distributions as well. Sure, for a LTS release this might be the right decision for Ubuntu right now. But long term it doesn't help the community.

Comment

Wayland is not a critical technology. X11 works fine and has for years. It has direct rendering support, the X server is also getting a new driver backend for the X server itself rendering with Mesa drivers called Glamor to eliminate the multiple drivers situation. When Ubuntu does use a next generation window system, it should be Wayland and I fully supported dropping Mir.

The Gnome on Ubuntu by default is a theme that makes it look like Unity. You can also use different Gnome themes including the default one or a different window manager such as XFCE. Moving to Gnome was a smart move, there's no point in Canonical spending massive resources doing its own desktop environment instead of pooling resources with Red hat and Suse to make Gnome better. Going wayland was also a smart move as well, the last thing Linux needs is more fragmentation by having a bunch of incompatible window system APIs.

Personally I do not like the Unity or Gnome default interface but you can configure things to use the interface that works best for you. I actually think Ubuntu should go back to a taskbar startmenu paradigm via a Gnome theme and reject the awful idea that mobile and desktop UIs should be the same. The different formats need completely different UI models.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
                    wayland is not ready. not for work at least. thank god i use xubuntu.. there is just so little that can go wrong on it since all it's going into the gui code is bugfixing from the xubuntu guys.
                    Wayland is ready, it's your DE which isn't

Comment

Originally posted by woprandi View Post

Wayland is ready, it's your DE which isn't
                      Wayland works perfectly for me on vega, teamviewer and screen sharing stuff is the only thing that doesn't with wayland o.0

Comment

Working...
                      X