No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Will Default To The X.Org Stack, Not Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland, initial release was 30 September 2008, so 9 years and 4 month ago... i guess it needs more

It is interesting how people think that only X is old and that it does not improved in these last 9 years and 4 months

Nowdays Wayland should drop its GL usage altoghether and to do things in VK trampoline only
    Last edited by dungeon; 26 January 2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

X as a protocol is very insecure and so is the Xserver, no doubts about that. It's just not really urgent to switch to Wayland with a home desktop Linux because we are no interesting targets for malware/exploits.
      My Xorg experience is 100% smooth and stable (and tearing-free), I'm not giving that up quickly just for the sake of using Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Wayland, initial release was 30 September 2008
        Development started, but the first (pre)release I see in the cgit repo is in 2012

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Development started, but the first (pre)release I see in the cgit repo is in 2012
          Nope, it was even before 2008. as Wayland was in people heads since around Compiz Cube megalomania happened Because, why we need extension for doing that XGL not good, AIGLX better, but still not good why we just don't do entire thing by design

Also Android phones happened and that was it - Gnome phone UI on Every Pixel seems Perfecttm And all that just because X is not perfect for phones and also need extensions for doing any additional things. Instead of plugins, you wanna box by that design in mind.
          Last edited by dungeon; 26 January 2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Nope, it was even before 2008. as Wayland was in people heads
            Who cares when it was in peoples' heads? That doesn't make it old. The bottom line is that the first actual release and 1.0 release were in 2012.

Comment

Do they ever upgrade x.org versions in point released of ubuntu (18.04.1)?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                Who cares when it was in peoples' heads?
                It is still in people heads, please tell me who uses it by his will and is not developer?

This september it will be 10 years since its initial release, time flies really

It is OLD, 10 years of trolling about that boxed GL design

That reminds me on somewhat on Windows 8 debacle, vast majority of people just don't want to use it And giving Windows 10 for free was: To be or not to be - that is the question, of course with start button included
                Last edited by dungeon; 26 January 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

It's a sensible decision. Wayland itself seems fairly complete, but there are too many applications that won't work flawlessly with XWayland. E.g. Synaptic and Gparted don't play well with the authentication under Wayland. (Neither does Yast under OpenSUSE.) Only by applying "xhost +" do they properly gain root rights, but that is taking a sledgehammer to the security measures implemented for X. Kodi doesn't like XWayland that much either. It becomes slower, more crashy and flickers like crazy when pauzed.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    Do they ever upgrade x.org versions in point released of ubuntu (18.04.1)?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                      However. I went back to X because too many apps have not been modified to be Wayland friendly. And the main culprit and a must have app for me is Synaptic. Synaptic will NOT launch at all under Wayland. Log out and log back in under X and perfection. So X it is for the foreseeable future.
                      It works perfectly ok under Wayland. You have heard of this
                      Code:
                      xhost +si:localuser:root
                      trick, haven't you? And if you don't want to re-type it every time you could add it as script to your startup scripts.

Comment

Working...
                      X