Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a good decision, wayland still doesnt support a lot of things

Comment

I hope Ubuntu will continue with the "non-LTS get Wayland" though, but this is absolutely the right move to make.

Comment

Though I use Wayland and think it's perfectly capable for most users (most things it doesn't support can either be fixed via Xwayland or aren't important) I do think it was a good decision for an LTS to stick with Xorg. If 18.10 wants to use Wayland, I think that would be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          a good decision, wayland still doesnt support a lot of things
          Yeah wayland have problems in input and others as other users said without forget strange behaviour with different apps (low compatibility compared with x)

Maybe wayland can be option in future but for now not

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
            You can deny it like Monica Lewinsky but the fact is customers are jumping ship.
            Do you have any numbers/facts to back that up or are you just spouting incoherent BS like usual?

18.04 is a disaster.
            Right. It's months from release, but it's a disaster. Good thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              they should back to unity 7 them put a new design and make a new version/fork of unity 8 with wayland and forget this piece of garbage called gnome. Ubuntu 17.10 was the worst ubuntu in 10 years
              GNOME is actually great DE. I use it exclusively. And, my non-technical wife said, that Linux has much better interface, than Windows (she has got GNOME installed).

GNOME is just great DE (well, since maybe 3.18, previous versions were horrible). Alternatively, XFCE would do, too. I liked KDE 3, also.

Comment

right now canonical is probaly thinking in their decision of abandoning unity 7 as default desktop, after ubuntu 17.10 fiasco not really a surprise

Comment

Smart move to stay with X.org for a while longer. Although I played with Wayland all throughout my time with 17.04 and 17.10 now...I went back to X recently. Not because I had too many crashes. I really did not. It actually seemed more intelligent than X especially when hooking up my laptop to various TV's ( not computer monitors). Half the time X could never get screen ratio exactly correct ( looked liked old CRT overscan ) whereas Wayland would always perfectly scale the screen edge to edge.

However. I went back to X because too many apps have not been modified to be Wayland friendly. And the main culprit and a must have app for me is Synaptic. Synaptic will NOT launch at all under Wayland. Log out and log back in under X and perfection. So X it is for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    right now canonical is probaly thinking in their decision of abandoning unity 7 as default desktop, after ubuntu 17.10 fiasco not really a surprise
                    Well, actually I think that was a good thing. Unity8 is still being developed. I haven't managed to get it to build right yet though, but that will happen, they are making great progress on it. Now that it isn't tied to Canonical's retarded NIH ideology, it actually has a real good chance now to compete, where as in Canonical's hands it had zero chance at all.
                    Last edited by duby229; 26 January 2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I wonder to which degree GDM is responsible for Wayland crashes? I recently gave Plasma Wayland a try without SDDM and was surprised that the system stopped deadlocking every two minutes and in fact didn't want to crash even once.
                      DM's on Linux are a real plague. So stupid to sacrifice so much stability (and apart from GDM, also security regarding rootless Xorg...) just to have a GUI for entering login credentials...

Comment

Working...
                      X