Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next MPV Player Release Will Offer Much Better Vulkan Support

Phoronix: The Next MPV Player Release Will Offer Much Better Vulkan Support

With the Christmas weekend release of the MPlayer-forked MPV Player 0.28, it's the first video player we are aware of supporting the Vulkan graphics API for video presentation. This release has just basic Vulkan support but it will be much better in the next release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's nice that wm4 decided to step down as project leader. The amount of work he's done by himself is awesome, but he's made many questionably decisions in the past and could be an unconstructive ass in PRs and other discussions. Finally seeing PRs that were just sitting before getting worked on and merged thanks to that and upstream ffmpeg support is back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
      he's made many questionably decisions in the past and could be an unconstructive ass in PRs and other discussions. Finally seeing PRs that were just sitting before getting worked on and merged thanks to that and upstream ffmpeg support is back.
      As one of the contributors, I’m quite happy with how he’s managed the project, and I generally agree with his reasoning. The decisions he made, even the more controversial ones, usually turned out beneficial in the end, one way or another. You just have to deal with his German directness and bitter attitude once in a while, but that’s just how it is with multimedia developers. They all become grumpy at some point. Also, FFmpeg support was only dropped temporarily until the required changes for the hwdec refactoring got merged, and I’d rather blame FFmpeg maintainers for that.

I like to think of this as him taking a (well-deserved) vacation rather than stepping down permanently. We’ll see.

Comment

It's nice that his changes have to actually get discussed in PRs now so the more controversial changes can be properly discussed and figured out before merging. 'German directness' is a poor excuse for some of the things I've seen him say and treat others. I truly feel sorry for some of the contributors when he goes off or leaves a comment like 'I don't agree' and doesn't respond to others afterwards.

Comment

Honest question: What advantages do developers expect to see from using Vulkan?

Given that mpv is a player for 2-dimensional videos, I understood that the OpenGL support already was useful mostly just to utilize GPU computing resources to perform scaling with some expensive filtering or colorspace conversions.

Vulkan, I understood, is a more lower-level interface to GPU hardware that is intended to allow 3D-software developers to squeeze out a little more speed from existing hardware in exchange for having to deal with more GPU model specifics. How is that desirable for a 2D video player, which needs to use only a small fraction of the computing power modern GPUs offer?

I can think of only one feature that could utilize even more GPU computing resources than usually available today, and that would be the on-the-fly, motion based frame interpolation to get from e.g. 24 fps to 60 fps, for displays that cannot do this kind of interpolation on their own (or suck at it). But I have a hard time imagining that such could be made possible by the small additional boost from using Vulkan over OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
            How is that desirable for a 2D video player, which needs to use only a small fraction of the computing power modern GPUs offer?
            You clearly have not seen the amount of shaders some people throw at their videos

Also, people need to get over the notion that OpenGL (or Vulkan) is "for 3D". This hasn't been the case for a loooong time now. Modern GPUs are basically just a big bunch of cores that execute whatever you throw at them. Whether the result will be presented in 2D or 3D doesn't really make a difference.

Comment

Working...
            X