Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VK9 Gets Basic D3D9 Shaders Running On Vulkan

Phoronix: VK9 Gets Basic D3D9 Shaders Running On Vulkan

The VK9 project that's been working on getting the Direct3D 9 API implemented on top of Vulkan has reached its self-assigned 23rd milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

in the meantime,a 1060, i7 4770k are not enough to play lol above 60fps at 1280x1024 with maxed out settings... and i dont understand why there is no effort towards such a popular game.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
      in the meantime,a 1060, i7 4770k are not enough to play lol above 60fps at 1280x1024 with maxed out settings... and i dont understand why there is no effort towards such a popular game.
      Or maybe the popular game needs to port itself to Linux already? Are you using Wine-Staging with CSMT? That might help with performance. I can't imagine Vuklan being much better over OpenGL for Wine. Then again RPCS3 is much faster using Vulkan instead of OpenGL.

I don't hear too much about Gallium-Nine lately. Whatever happened with that project? I use Gallium-Nine all the time but I haven't heard about their progression. BTW here's League of Legends running on a RX 480 getting over 60 fps using Gallium-Nine at 1920x1080 @ 120hz. Time for Gallium-Eleven.

AMD RX 480 performance preview.1920x1080 @ 120hzAMD RX 480Mesa 13.1 (Git)Gallium 0.4Polaris 10Linux 4.8.6-1-vfioIntel Core i7 6700k16GB DDR4 Ram*** Using Gal...

Comment

Seeing as CPU overhead due to D3D translations are a bottleneck for Wine, I'm really curious how much of a performance benefit something like VK9 will have to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'm really curious how much of a performance benefit something like VK9 will have to offer.
          I can only speak for DXVK at the moment, but I've done a lot of testing with one of Microsoft's shadow mapping demos (screenshot) lately, and while some things still need to be optimized, it is already some 20% faster than wined3d + csmt + mesa_glthread + mesa_no_error while consuming less than half the amount of CPU time, and it allows the application to create resources on separate threads without any sort of synchronization, which is impossible in OpenGL.

I guess VK9 will be significantly more efficient than wined3d as well, although probably not as efficient as Gallium Nine - but then again, Nine is significantly faster than wined3d as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
            Because it's Riot job to make LoL work on Linux.

For LoL Radeon is better, because Gallium Nine is pretty fast. On my old 7670M I had ~70FPS with Gallium Nine. On 920MX (little faster than my Radeon) I have 55-60FPS with drops in team fights to ~35 FPS. If You want to play LoL on Linux it's Radeon or nothing. LoL OpenGL renderer is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              I don't hear too much about Gallium-Nine lately. Whatever happened with that project? I use Gallium-Nine all the time but I haven't heard about their progression. BTW here's League of Legends running on a RX 480 getting over 60 fps using Gallium-Nine at 1920x1080 @ 120hz. Time for Gallium-Eleven.

AMD RX 480 performance preview.1920x1080 @ 120hzAMD RX 480Mesa 13.1 (Git)Gallium 0.4Polaris 10Linux 4.8.6-1-vfioIntel Core i7 6700k16GB DDR4 Ram*** Using Gal...
              It's still there. A few games still have some complicated issues that need some work, but mostly, just take your game and it works.

Comment

It would be interesting to see a test of vk and gallium based dx implementations in terms of speed and accuracy. I guess nobody will continue gallium nine or create a version for newer dx versions once vulkan is used to translate them though

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                  It would be interesting to see a test of vk and gallium based dx implementations in terms of speed and accuracy. I guess nobody will continue gallium nine or create a version for newer dx versions once vulkan is used to translate them though
                  DX9 to Vulkan is nice, but we'll have to see how nice. Gallium Nine will certainly be faster than DX9->Vulkan, but whether or not we'll see a Gallium-Eleven depends on how well the DX11->Vulkan works out. Keep in mind that for AMD users the Vulkan driver is still not faster than OpenGL for many games, and a DX to Vulkan is still going to have more overhead than a Gallium-Eleven. If you want the absolute best performance then you want Gallium-Eleven.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    DX9 to Vulkan is nice, but we'll have to see how nice. Gallium Nine will certainly be faster than DX9->Vulkan, but whether or not we'll see a Gallium-Eleven depends on how well the DX11->Vulkan works out. Keep in mind that for AMD users the Vulkan driver is still not faster than OpenGL for many games, and a DX to Vulkan is still going to have more overhead than a Gallium-Eleven. If you want the absolute best performance then you want Gallium-Eleven.
                    Gallium-nine still has issues and development is slow. It is not part of wine-staging for additional exposure to tests and we are still waiting for Nvidia.
                    I don't see gallium-eleven happening in the foreseable future right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X