OpenGL vs. Vulkan Linux Gaming Performance Ending Out 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aejsmith View Post

Michael Out of interest, what issues have you had with those? So far our testing hasn't shown any issues.
    With DoW3 I've hit crashes just the -2 error after loading screen (I believe I had submitted the auto bug reports via the michael@phoronix email) while with F1 2017 when using Vega with the PRO Vulkan driver at last check were some (minor'ish) corruption issues.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

With DoW3 I've hit crashes just the -2 error after loading screen (I believe I had submitted the auto bug reports via the michael@phoronix email) while with F1 2017 when using Vega with the PRO Vulkan driver at last check were some (minor'ish) corruption issues.
      Thanks, I'll look into it after Christmas. Not tested Vega yet so that might be why - Polaris seems fine.

Comment

Originally posted by aejsmith View Post

Michael Out of interest, what issues have you had with those? So far our testing hasn't shown any issues.
        I haven't tried it yet, but they list under open issues:

"Dawn of War III may crash during gameplay on Radeonâ„¢ RX Vega Series due to geometry shader is not yet supported"

Maybe that is the issue that Michael is hitting?

Comment

Cool if it really works this well.

If Vulkan API can reduce CPU usage by this much, will we see 15W CPUs + 75W GPUs in laptops now?
          Think of products such as in-the-past-failed Razer Edge.

Comment

Not bad result for AMD hardware, some issues with Dota and DoW but overall not bad compared to 1080ti for vega64. Vulkan still has allot of work ahead of it for the radv stack, not sure why it performs below opengl on several occasions, seems odd,.

Comment

The CPU usage graphs were taken from which GPU?

Either way those show some good benefit to Vulkan with dramatically lower CPU usage. That means less hitches/stuttering even if framerate appears similar. Plus lower power consumption. And if needed devs can use that freed up CPU time for other stuff such as AI and physics etc. Or it could be just the user himself being able to run more background applications without affecting the game.
              Last edited by humbug; 23 December 2017, 12:43 AM.

Comment

I'm really pleased we're starting to see real migration to Vulkan. I've got most of these games but haven't gotten around to playing them yet, but I'll fire them up over Christmas. It's really good for me because I've got a budget CPU in my Linux rig (G4560), so the less that's taxed the better for me.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Either way those show some good benefit to Vulkan with dramatically lower CPU usage. That means less hitches/stuttering even if framerate appears similar. Plus lower power consumption.
                  Lower latency, hopefully.

But it's not clear if the games are using OpenGL 4.5's low-overhead features, or if they're written to a lower spec. You might at least see the gap narrow, if the games were more aggressive in their use of OpenGL 4.5.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    If we had prioritized Vulkan over OpenGL during the last year or two that would have been nice for winning benchmarks but not for the bulk of our customers running OpenGL games on Linux.
                    Yes, we appreciate the focus on OpenGL. And not just for games.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                      All the talk about AMD and vulkan, still nvidia is the one that gains with vulkan over OpenGL.
                      because there was no amd vulkan in this test. it was radv, which is not written by amd
                      amd wrote radeonsi and it was consistently faster even than nvidia vulkan on 580 vs 1060

Comment

Working...
                      X