No announcement yet.

DXVK Is Aiming To Get Direct3D 11 Over Vulkan In Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another option is to just play Direct3D 11 and 12 games natively at full-speed within a Linux environment:

Comment

Getting DX11 games running under Linux at decent FPS is the holy grail of Linux gaming, but its quite allot of work and I hope developers come together and share workload or its going to be quite some time because we will even be able to test these projects out.

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Another option is to just play Direct3D 11 and 12 games natively at full-speed within a Linux environment:
      This is not really native and requires additionally hardware and comes with a few quirks which will likely put off allot of people (at least until it gets better support). Once Raven Ridge 2 APU's come out I will put one in my AM4 system (I want a 8core cpu) and look at doing this, but atm I only have 1 GPU.
      Last edited by theriddick; 27 November 2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        Getting DX11 games running under Linux at decent FPS is the holy grail of Linux gaming, but its quite allot of work and I hope developers come together and share workload or its going to be quite some time because we will even be able to test these projects out.

This is not really native and requires additionally hardware and comes with a few quirks which will likely put off allot of people (at least until it gets better support). Once Raven Ridge 2 APU's come out I will put one in my AM4 system (I want a 8core cpu) and look at doing this, but atm I only have 1 GPU.
        This is native. Windows is running bare-metal and Linux is running inside a VM but in this case the VM replaces the Windows shell with GNOME or any other Linux desktop and my software integrates host Windows apps into Linux desktop environments with launcher icons and taskbars. Only VT-x is required, not VT-d/IOMMU nor GPU passthrough and it works on laptops as well.

Comment

So basically your telling people to just run windows.. LOL

Comment

This is native. Windows is running bare-metal and Linux is running inside a VM but in this case the VM replaces the Windows shell with GNOME or any other Linux desktop and my software integrates host Windows apps into Linux desktop environments with launcher icons and taskbars. Only VT-x is required, not VT-d/IOMMU nor GPU passthrough and it works on laptops as well.
            So the Windowz spyware is the base, that is not Linux at all. Can you think of a way where minimal Windowz is running inside a VM and Linux replaces the WIndowz shell, with pseudo sleep mode for Windowz for faster boot?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              So basically your telling people to just run windows.. LOL
              Yep. Run Windows with a full-screen Linux desktop environment instead of explorer.exe and make the Linux desktop support Windows applications.

Comment

*Windows environment with Linux replacing the GUI and running as a guest VM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  *Windows environment with Linux replacing the GUI and running as a guest VM.
                  Exactly and it works great but there is some extra software involved here as you can see--it's more than simply just a VM guest. Faster and more compatible than Wine and much easier to set-up and with far more hardware support than GPU passthrough--I'm using a laptop for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

So the Windowz spyware is the base, that is not Linux at all. Can you think of a way where minimal Windowz is running inside a VM and Linux replaces the WIndowz shell, with pseudo sleep mode for Windowz for faster boot?
                    Yes, I have software that can make it easy to run VM Windows guest apps on a Linux host but it isn't as good for gaming as that is limited to just Direct3D 10 and older. This new method runs games at bare-metal speed with full DX 11 & 12 support.

If you want to try the older way that's here:

You might need to edit the script to work with Workstation 14 as I've only tested it with 12.x as I haven't used it in a year.

BTW, It's easy to disable the Windows telemetry spyware, just do this:

Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 27 November 2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post
                      What is the point of this project?
                      Is better performance expected by using Vulkan as a backend instead of OpenGL?
                      Oh definitely. But more than that, There are things in D3D11 that are obscenely difficult to do in OGL and in some cases basically impossible. Wine has to actually copy textures back to CPU memory and manually do things in software in certain cases, because OGL simply cannot do it.

Vulkan is much more flexible; it has no such limitations. DXVK will advance a great deal faster than wined3d ever did.

Comment

Working...
                      X