Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Are Likely To See More Vulkan Driver Fixes From Feral

Phoronix: We Are Likely To See More Vulkan Driver Fixes From Feral

Feral developer Alex Smith is requesting commit rights to the Mesa code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Open source driver development have hit a point where it starting to self sustain it seems and delivering better performance and soon quality than the closed source drivers

Good times!

Comment

As always:

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Comment

it's time to use AMDGPU instead of RadesonSI by default for GCN 1.0/1.1 graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by obedlink View Post
          it's time to use AMDGPU instead of RadesonSI by default for GCN 1.0/1.1 graphics card.
          You mean Radeon, not RadeonSI... RadeonSI is the Gallium3D driver still used by all GCN graphics cards for OpenGL. But as has been mentioned countless times, the GCN 1.0/1.1 cards won't be switching from Radeon to AMDGPU until there is feature parity (video decode differences being an active difference atm) and the support is mature.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This reminds me of back in the day when John Carmack contributed OpenGL driver code to Linux and X11 for the Matrox G200 cards. I had one of those. Playing Quake 3 on it was amazing.

Comment

I was surprised that he doesn't have commit rights already. I think that his request is a very positive sign and the AMD drivers can become more and more a place of strong collaboration over the borders of companies. There should be no hesitation to give him the rights after he prove his dedication by his previous commitments.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                I was surprised that he doesn't have commit rights already. I think that his request is a very positive sign and the AMD drivers can become more and more a place of strong collaboration over the borders of companies. There should be no hesitation to give him the rights after he prove his dedication by his previous commitments.
                What's perhaps missing from Michael's article is that Alex's last patch set to Mesa got reviewed by Ian Romanick (of Intel) who asked him to go ahead and apply for rights to commit himself.

So this isn't any major change on Feral or AMD's side of things. Just business as usual, where someone decided it would be more convenient for him to be able to commit the stuff he has been working on since he's done enough to be trusted by the community now.

Comment

Working...
                X