Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More RADV Radeon Vulkan Optimizations Are In The Works

Phoronix: More RADV Radeon Vulkan Optimizations Are In The Works

We are just one week into November and already there are a number of patches volleyed onto the mailing list for continuing to optimize the RADV open-source Radeon Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So now that RADV in some cases even outperforms AMDGPU-PRO, what is the point of open-sourcing the Vulkan driver by AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      So now that RADV in some cases even outperforms AMDGPU-PRO, what is the point of open-sourcing the Vulkan driver by AMD?
      Because GPU-Pro Vulkan on Linux not optimized as AMD Vulkan Windows driver.

That's why Radv beats it on Linux.

Comment

I had a dream last night about multiplatform/os code sharing strategy...
        In some parallel univers, the following approach was taken:
        1) OpenGL Compatibility Profiles were implemented in mesa.
        2) AMD dropped proprietary OpenGL implementation.
        3) They started using mesa with RADV and OpenGL on multiple Operating Systems, and have achieved 'true' Open Source code sharing.
        4) Radeon Software Crimson UI was adapted to work with the OSS stack on other Operating Systems than windows.
        5) More customers started using AMD products because of this transparency and fast development model.

The performance that OpenGL has on Linux, was also available in windows and customers weren't complaining anymore.
        They got tremendous support from the community for bugfixing, and managed to have a code continuously improved.
        Mesa OSS started to benefit in return from implementation of Compatibility Profiles, better test coverage, ISV certification, even more people from AMD involved, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
          3) They started using mesa with RADV and OpenGL on multiple Operating Systems, and have achieved 'true' Open Source code sharing.
          4) Radeon Software Crimson UI was adapted to work with the OSS stack on other Operating Systems than windows.
          5) More customers started using AMD products because of this transparency and fast development model.

The performance that OpenGL has on Linux, was also available in windows and customers weren't complaining anymore.
          They got tremendous support from the community for bugfixing, and managed to have a code continuously improved.
          Mesa OSS started to benefit in return from implementation of Compatibility Profiles, better test coverage, ISV certification, even more people from AMD involved, etc.

what a wonderful dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

Because GPU-Pro Vulkan on Linux not optimized as AMD Vulkan Windows driver.

That's why Radv beats it on Linux.
            It hard to make a fair comparison though. Pretty sure the games commonly tested on Windows with Vulkan have AMD specific optimization. Don't think that is the case for Linux games with Vulkan.

Comment

AMD should use Mesa an all operating systems. Crimson could be just a proprietary D3D extension.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                AMD should use Mesa an all operating systems. Crimson could be just a proprietary D3D extension.
                I don't think it's that easy. Mesa is used by FreeBSD for example, but how are you going to use it in Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

1.) I hope this never happens but developers fix their code and use core profile as it should be
                  2.) same but not gonna happen for the RadeonPro/FirePro cards which is fine
                  3.) may be possible but probably LLVM would be the show stopper not mesa
                  4.) Crimson uses Qt5 last time I checked, the missing bits are the kernel interfaces, once AMDGPU kernel driver export all the code paths needed GUI porting should be trivial
                  5.) Is happening up to some point at some studios like Feral, ID, etc. lets hope in the future more and more join.

I dare to say Mesa already have better test coverage than Crimson, the windows driver regress a lot compared to Mesa, at least for me in the last few years.

Comment

The AMDGPU-Pro is still needed for professional workstation purposes, and also crypto among other things. It would be nice if MESA could be used for everything but I believe there are multiple issues on that front, in particular when comparing CONSUMER to INDUSTRY needs.

Comment

Working...
                    X