Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 2017 Will Be The First Vulkan-Only Linux Game

Phoronix: F1 2017 Will Be The First Vulkan-Only Linux Game

After announcing the F1 2017 racing game for Linux last week, Feral Interactive confirmed it will support the Vulkan graphics API while today they confirmed it's going to be a Vulkan-exclusive title on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

awesome

Comment

This is nice to read! Having an exclusive game could save them some resources they can spent in further porting and supporting of Vulkan.

Unfortunately we have no indication now how well the performance is. We could only compare benchmarks to Windows with DirectX or Linux nVidia, but not AMD OpenGL.

Actually it would be pretty nice to have Windows benchmarks more often to compare the performance to the original platform and to get an idea how much impact the overhead due to drivers and porting still is. There should be a point where Vulkan should come up quite competitive to Windows performance if drivers and the port quality has been settled enough.

Comment

I understand not everybody will be thrilled by this (due to lack of working VK driver), but this is a important milestone in Vulkan adoption. I hope Feral to get a good financial return for their efforts. I totally buying it full price as a encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
          Actually it would be pretty nice to have Windows benchmarks more often to compare the performance to the original platform and to get an idea how much impact the overhead due to drivers and porting still is. There should be a point where Vulkan should come up quite competitive to Windows performance if drivers and the port quality has been settled enough.
          For a given driver, the performance should be roughly identical, give or take unnecessary context switching and other platform overhead. You can compare the same driver between Windows and Linux for both NVIDIA and AMD, and the results should be portable (unless it's been specifically sabotaged).

Comment

Bold move doing this so early on (are there even Windows games that are DX12-only?), but kudos to the devs for making this decision. Unfortunately, it may result in a lot of negative reviews, due to misinformed people. But, this isn't a casual game so I don't suspect they're going to get a lot of ignorant customers.

Comment

I'm very happy at this decision. If there's one technology migration that needs to happen as fast as possible it's AAA gaming going from OpenGL to Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Bold move doing this so early on (are there even Windows games that are DX12-only?), but kudos to the devs for making this decision. Unfortunately, it may result in a lot of negative reviews, due to misinformed people.
                I think Nvidia Linux users who use the proprietary driver will be ok.

AMD Linux users have a bit of a problem because there are a lot on GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1 with quite fast hardware but they are still on the radeon drm kernel driver with no access to Vulkan. AMD needs to make amdgpu DRM the default yesterday and stop the fragmentation...

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  I think Nvidia Linux users who use the proprietary driver will be ok.

AMD Linux users have a bit of a problem because there are a lot on GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1 with quite fast hardware but they are still on the radeon drm kernel driver with no access to Vulkan. AMD needs to make amdgpu DRM the default yesterday and stop the fragmentation...
                  They've already said they will once they're sure they haven't caused any regressions in stability or features

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                    AMD needs to make amdgpu DRM the default yesterday and stop the fragmentation...
                    game is not even released yet, no reason to hurry

Comment

Working...
                    X