Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F1 2017 On Linux Will Support Vulkan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • F1 2017 On Linux Will Support Vulkan

    Phoronix: F1 2017 On Linux Will Support Vulkan

    To little surprise considering all of Feral's Vulkan driver help recently, their racing game port announced earlier today, F1 2017 for Linux, will use the new graphics API...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...7-Linux-Vulkan

  • #2
    I have already been able to confirm with Feral that F1 2017 will be benchmark-friendly and they should be submitting a PTS test profile for it next week..
    Very nice, I'm very interested in how Vega performs with this game. Being also Apple's choice for their new iMac Pro this GPU might be a pretty attractive target for Feral. Especially when the smaller Vega GPUs would be built in other Apple PCs in the future.

    Comment


    • #3
      wooo, this may become my first vulkan game

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
        Very nice, I'm very interested in how Vega performs with this game. Being also Apple's choice for their new iMac Pro this GPU might be a pretty attractive target for Feral. Especially when the smaller Vega GPUs would be built in other Apple PCs in the future.
        Did Apple stop their NIH bullshit and adopt Vulkan while I was not looking?

        Because those Vega GPUs will only have openGL and Metal on MacOS.

        And knowing Apple, they will probably throttle hard on top of that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Did Apple stop their NIH bullshit and adopt Vulkan while I was not looking?

          Because those Vega GPUs will only have openGL and Metal on MacOS.

          And knowing Apple, they will probably throttle hard on top of that.
          Well you can buy MoltenVK. I don't know how it performs but this is the whole point of having a mac - spending money on things that look bling bling, right? :-D (sorry - hihi)

          Comment


          • #6
            This is really nice since it's probably the racing games with the best visuals on PC. Kudos if Feral manage a stutter free Vulkan port with nice fps.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Well you can buy MoltenVK.
              I don't know what technique they use on Apple PCs but in my opinion how you address several hardware features should be quite similar disregarding whether you are using Vulkan or Metal. Of course I don't like to advertise these PCs as gaming platforms here neither Metal but in the end it's the second market that Feral targets and from their view this might be a significant point.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                I don't know what technique they use on Apple PCs but in my opinion how you address several hardware features should be quite similar disregarding whether you are using Vulkan or Metal. Of course I don't like to advertise these PCs as gaming platforms here neither Metal but in the end it's the second market that Feral targets and from their view this might be a significant point.
                Your opinion is wrong, Vulkan games don't run on MacOS without some compatibility layer or without a dedicated code path for Metal. The fact that Metal does share similarities with Vulkan makes this easier, but they are not the same thing.

                So unless Feral does this additional step, people on Mac will run the game on OpenGL.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                  wooo, this may become my first vulkan game
                  Neah, it's 99% still translated to Vulkan.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice, maybe I'll actually get the game when it's out and I have some time/money to spare.

                    Meanwhile, I've been trying to get the new Wolfenstein to work on RADV, but nope, all the game renders is the mouse cursor. And it still ships with broken shaders like DOOM. What the fuck?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X