Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Squeezes A Bit More Performance Out Of Mad Max

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Squeezes A Bit More Performance Out Of Mad Max

David Airlie has managed to squeeze a bit more performance out of Feral Interactive's Mad Max Vulkan port with one line of code change to RADV...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

10% improvement for such a small change is nothing to sneer at.
    Also remember that even very small changes sometimes require a lot of work in tracking down the exact problem and solution.

Comment

yeah that level of interaction must be great.

Perhaps is should be reinforced how small that patch was too, so it's not like a lot of custom coding was required, just a different operation (?) used.

Comment

I'm somehow reminded of a compiler lecture where the professor mentioned that for some compilers the instruction selection is actually bruteforced. They take a target CPU and for commom mathematical operations they just generate random instruction sequences and hope to find one that produces the same results but runs faster.

Comment

Now Max Max runs on Vulkan even better :-) Thanks

Comment

I am curious about how he is tracking such performance improvement... Is there a specific protocol with different GPUs? Are they using phoronix tools?

Comment

Originally posted by elldekaa View Post
              I am curious about how he is tracking such performance improvement... Is there a specific protocol with different GPUs? Are they using phoronix tools?
              In the commit he says he is using the PTS (Phoronix Test Suite) test for comparison.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                I'm somehow reminded of a compiler lecture where the professor mentioned that for some compilers the instruction selection is actually bruteforced. They take a target CPU and for commom mathematical operations they just generate random instruction sequences and hope to find one that produces the same results but runs faster.
                the approach is called 'superoptimization', modern approach is to generate replacement directories (inst seq -> superoptimized inst sequence).

Originally posted by jaxxed
                just a different operation (?) used.
                it's not a different operation, just slightly different semantics. FMA traditionally require 'fused' semantics, i.e. the multiply and add operations happen without rounding the intermediate result. AMD GPUs implement this by using double precision and the instruction runs at DP rate (usually 1/8 or 1/16 of SP rate).
                The alternative is MAD (multiply-add) which gives the same rounding/precision as mul+add but it's faster (usually single cycle)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

In the commit he says he is using the PTS (Phoronix Test Suite) test for comparison.
                  Very nice!

Comment

Reaching 60 FPS at high settings at 4K is very good, but I wonder what the hardware is…

Comment

Working...
                    X