No announcement yet.

Better Hang Detection For The RADV Vulkan Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't complain here: have not seen many hangs with my RX 470.
    Though I don't update my git drivers very often so that could be the reason.

Personally, the last thing I want is gpu reset like in Windows Vista+ where Windows would suddenly decide that my driver (nvidia at the time) was too slow responding, reseted it in the middle of a game (which caused aforementioned game to crash 99% of the time) and let it rot in low power (unusable for gaming) state.
    I had to reboot to get the gpu to go back to normal speed.

So yeah, on Windows, the gpu reset system is more of a problem than a solution in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
      So yeah, on Windows, the gpu reset system is more of a problem than a solution in my experience.
      Seemed to work fine for me when I used anything between Vista and 10 before ditching Windows completely early this year. I was mostly on AMD graphics during that time though, but I got crashes often (mostly due to my overclocking addiction) and the driver would reset just fine in most cases without the need to reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
        radeon was able to successfully reset my laptop GPU with most GPU hangs I encountered. amdgpu (at least on Polaris) only very rarely successfully resets. I believe you still have to manually enable automatic gpu reset by booting with amdgpu.lockup_timeout=10000 so it will try to reset 10 seconds after detecting a hang, but you'll usually get bad results, from the monitor not receiving any signals anymore, to it showing a very colorful distorted image to just straight out null pointer dereferences in the amdgpu kernel module.
        Thanks, I was not aware about amdgpu beeing that different to radeon in this regard. I use a Polaris, so this explains why I need to reset if the GPU hangs and at least there is hope to see improvements.

Comment

Working...
        X