Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4.17 Released With Better Vulkan Support

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 4.17 Released With Better Vulkan Support

Epic Games has pushed out Unreal Engine 4.17, which is exciting for Linux gamers especially thanks to Vulkan renderer improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any news of anyone ever using it to make a game?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      There are a few. Ark Survival Evolved being an example with a (TRULY TERRIBLE) linux port. I did ask the devs on reddit, who actually replied and told me Linux would be getting Vulkan though. So who knows, but there are a handful of UE4 games out there. Mostly with bad performance and so-so graphics though, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
        There are a few. Ark Survival Evolved being an example with a (TRULY TERRIBLE) linux port. I did ask the devs on reddit, who actually replied and told me Linux would be getting Vulkan though.
        Now Ark even has a rendering issue with water been gray on the opengl Linux/Mac versions, I just hope they really get the linux version working with Vulkan soon.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Lots of games released using it. Only a handful with Linux support, many of which are still in development like Descent Underground, which I am waiting for the release on.

Comment

*yawn* when it actually gets linux support let me know.

Comment

Is there anyway you can benchmark this? it be interesting to see a before and after sort of result for different cards (mostly AMD).

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Is there anyway you can benchmark this? it be interesting to see a before and after sort of result for different cards (mostly AMD).
                Their Linux demo builds sadly haven't been updated in years.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

More importantly their entire asset store, including lots of free to use assets and all their demo projects, are still locked behind their closed source "launcher" which is not available for linux.

By now it should be clear that it won't be released anytime soon either. Has anyone done any reverse engineering on the protocol this launcher uses so you can at least get access to the free to use assets?

Comment

Haven't compiled Unreal for a while, but can't you simply access the assets with any web browser?

Comment

Working...
                    X