Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Vulkan 1.1 Today, But There Is A New Initiative That Could Help macOS See Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Vulkan 1.1 Today, But There Is A New Initiative That Could Help macOS See Vulkan

Phoronix: No Vulkan 1.1 Today, But There Is A New Initiative That Could Help macOS See Vulkan

While this morning the embargo lifted on the exciting OpenGL 4.6 update, those hoping SIGGRAPH 2017 would bring "Vulkan 1.1" or some big update on that front, that is not the case...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since Apple apparently controls what drivers you can install on OS-X, I don't think there is a way to put Vulkan down their throat.

Comment

Well I guess it's about what molten already tries: mapping as much functionality from vulkan to dx and metal. Only functionality that works everywhere will get included.

Comment

including those that currently support only DirectX and Metal.
        OK, so one of them is Mac OS. What's the other one? XBox?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Vulkan can theoretically work on XP if vendors were to provide vendors but this portability wouldn't be for that since XP doesn't have DX12. Really wouldn't make sense for trying to map Vulkan to ~DX9. It may be for trying to map for Xbox console support. It wasn't implied on the call I had last week but macOS seems main focus.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Since Apple apparently controls what drivers you can install on OS-X, I don't think there is a way to put Vulkan down their throat.
            You could have an application built using this subset of Vulkan then use a middle layer that maps it to Metal, similarly to what MoltenVK does, but probably more efficiently since the subset would have been made for that exact purpose. Maybe that layer could be FOSS from Khronos.

If the mapping is efficient enough (Croteam said Molten was not) it could push using Vulkan on Mac OS after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Vulkan can theoretically work on XP if vendors were to provide vendors but this portability wouldn't be for that since XP doesn't have DX12. Really wouldn't make sense for trying to map Vulkan to ~DX9. It may be for trying to map for Xbox console support. It wasn't implied on the call I had last week but macOS seems main focus.
              If vendors were to provide vendors? Haha

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                It doesn't matter. If Vulkan works on Windows, Linux, Android, PS4, Switch and iOS it will kill off DX12 and Microsoft will have to adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

It doesn't matter. If Vulkan works on Windows, Linux, Android, PS4, Switch and iOS it will kill off DX12 and Microsoft will have to adapt.
                  If! But Vulkan doesn't run on all those platforms. Last I checked it doesn't run on PS4 nor on iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

If! But Vulkan doesn't run on all those platforms. Last I checked it doesn't run on PS4 nor on iOS.
                    I haven't heard anything recent, but you can boot linux and get Vulkan working that way. Of course it isn't on the PS4's native OS yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X