David Airlie On Tweaking RADV For Better Performance In Deferred Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Airlie On Tweaking RADV For Better Performance In Deferred Demo

Phoronix: David Airlie On Tweaking RADV For Better Performance In Deferred Demo

David Airlie has written a post on his new blog concerning a deferred rendering demo in Vulkan and how he managed to take the RADV driver from about half the speed of the AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan driver up to performance parity...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

all good news.

Comment

So, is this like the specific 'game profiles' and optimizations that NVIDIA and AMD bake into their drivers, or is it something that every game (or every game that uses specific features) will benefit from?

Comment

Thus you see how important holidays can be.

Originally posted by airlied-blog
        I went on holidays for a week and came back to stare at the traces again, when I my brain finally noticed something I'd missed.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
          So, is this like the specific 'game profiles' and optimizations that NVIDIA and AMD bake into their drivers, or is it something that every game (or every game that uses specific features) will benefit from?
          It's for everything. The question is if the demo is hitting/avoiding a bottleneck that games would rarely actually hit, in that case you wouldn't see any difference in any games.

Comment

I think that all these game-specific profiles (that probably make up a good part of the installation size of binary drivers) are ... well, sometimes a fair means to get out a little better performance, but I guess there is also a good bunch of "quirks" involved, means, fixing mistakes of the game developers.

Afair. mesa / FOSS stack developers wanted to avoid this as much as possible. And rather look if something in the driver might be causing a slow behaviour. That should be in theory the better approach but then if you fix too deep in the drivers you might cause regressions elsewhere.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Interesting to read the story about how he improved this specific case. Great to see these RADV improvements! The magical numbers are hopefully explored more detailed by other developers too :-)

Comment

It is more the second part, every one who uses multiple rendering targets should see a improvement, I didn't read the whole IRC log yet, but it doesn't seem like profile, it is more a undocumented part/behavior of the hardware

Comment

The mails on the list suggest the magic numbers were memory alignments used to balance things out between the memory channels and get higher performance

Comment

It's a shame that non-AMD developers do the whole work. – Why should I buy AMD again?!

Comment

Working...
                    X