Ubuntu 17.10 Video Acceleration Progress, New Unity-Session Package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Video Acceleration Progress, New Unity-Session Package

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Video Acceleration Progress, New Unity-Session Package

We recently reported on Ubuntu planning to finally ship video acceleration by default, at least for Intel hardware, and they have made progress in this area...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully they're also aware that radeons support VAAPI as well... If they'd just I stall the video acceleration packages that are already available in the default distro... Or turn on the gallium VAAPI support
    Last edited by Veerappan; 24 June 2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

One wonders why this is a "plan" rather than the simple action of adding like... 3 packages to the base distro, and changing one or two build flags.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        Hopefully they're also aware that radeons support VAAPI as well...
        Considering they're messing with the Intel SDK instead of simply using libva-intel-driver, they don't seem to be aware at all about what's out there.

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        If they'd just I stall the video acceleration packages that are already available in the default distro... Or turn on the gallium VAAPI support
        This. Just pass the appropriate configure flags when building mesa and then package up the resulting drivers. This gives you both VAAPI and VDPAU for the gallium drivers (nouveau, r600, radeonsi). Intel's driver isn't in mesa, but it can be easily compiled and packaged up separately. Other distros can do it, I don't know why Ubuntu is messing about with who knows what.

Comment

I don't know why anyone above don't bother with checking what is actually available in Ubuntu repository, what Mesa build options has been used, etc. Both of VA-API and VDPAU is available and actually even preinstalled by default (at least on Kubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome, as far I remember). Package that is not installed by default is gstreamer1.0-vaapi, which is useless anyway, since Totem using hardware decoder inefficiently:
          Totem uses dramatically higher CPU than any other video player. Example 1: software playback under Gnome Shell Wayland: totem: 120% (but drops to 80% in Unity7) mplayer: 40% vlc: 40% [all are using ffmpeg for decoding] Example 2: hardware-accelerated playback under Gnome Shell Xorg: totem: 11% gst-play-1.0: 3% [both are using gstreamer-vaapi for decoding] Since the decoding libraries are theoretically the same it sounds like totem's performance problems might be in its rendering path. P...

Totem pauses and stutters during video playback even when CPU usage is low. After figuring out how to play videos with full hardware accelerated decoding (e.g.

Video encoding maybe works with some command line utilities, but for example with Pitivi file encoded via Intel's open source VA-API implementation is empty, green-ish, or something like that (I don't clearly remember, but the point is - it's broken in one way or another) . Maybe Intel Media SDK could solve this? I don't know, but Canonical attempt on bringing Intel Media SDK could be good idea, hopefully then it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            I don't know why anyone above don't bother with checking what is actually available in Ubuntu repository, what Mesa build options has been used, etc.
            The need for a plan to provide hardware decoding implies that currently hardware decoding isn't available. It's true none of us checked whether the implication is actually the case, but was a reasonable conclusion to make.

Both of VA-API and VDPAU is available and actually even preinstalled by default (at least on Kubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome, as far I remember). Package that is not installed by default is gstreamer1.0-vaapi, which is useless anyway, since Totem using hardware decoder inefficiently:
            Totem uses dramatically higher CPU than any other video player. Example 1: software playback under Gnome Shell Wayland: totem: 120% (but drops to 80% in Unity7) mplayer: 40% vlc: 40% [all are using ffmpeg for decoding] Example 2: hardware-accelerated playback under Gnome Shell Xorg: totem: 11% gst-play-1.0: 3% [both are using gstreamer-vaapi for decoding] Since the decoding libraries are theoretically the same it sounds like totem's performance problems might be in its rendering path. P...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...m/+bug/1698270
            That looks like Totem's rendering and/or presentation pipeline being crap. Could also be gstreamer itself, but considering gst on the commandline seems to work as it should, it points to Totem. So it's not a generic problem with hardware decoding, but a specific problem with one specific player.

Video encoding maybe works with some command line utilities, but for example with Pitivi file encoded via Intel's open source VA-API implementation is empty, green-ish, or something like that (I don't clearly remember, but the point is - it's broken in one way or another) . Maybe Intel Media SDK could solve this? I don't know, but Canonical attempt on bringing Intel Media SDK could be good idea, hopefully then it will work.
            Maybe the SDK could help here, but I don't see why it inherently would. It's the applications that need work, and this work could very well be done in terms of VAAPI, because it's apparently already available and doesn't require jumping through hoops like the SDK does.

Comment

Any idea when snap can be installed in user level without password?

Comment

Excellent news about unity-session!

Comment

If Ubuntu dont bring somehow Unity as an option, 16.04 will be the last version of Ubuntu and Linux generally I ever used. Thank god I have nVidia GPU and I wont miss anything from newer versions.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                    If Ubuntu dont bring somehow Unity as an option, 16.04 will be the last version of Ubuntu and Linux generally I ever used. Thank god I have nVidia GPU and I wont miss anything from newer versions.
                    Your only hope is in UBports and their desktop team mates making a unofficial Ubuntu Unity again.

Comment

Working...
                    X