Vulkan vs. OpenGL On Linux With Core i5, Core i7, Ryzen 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
    Vulkan slower than OpenGL...that's disappointing given that Doom etc. were twice as fast.
    It looks like RADV doesnt do nearly as much optimization on the GPU side as the OpenGL mesa drivers... Could this be because of the spir-v compiler(s)?

In CPU bound scenarios (nearly all tests with the i5), RADV does well, which is a good sign.

Comment

Now that Marek landed his latest series to reduce CPU overhead, this test is already obsolete.

Comment

KHR_no_error should also reduce the overhead.

Is KHR_no_error used by default where implementation exists or it has to be manually enabled using the ENV var?

Comment

Originally posted by Strunkenbold View Post
          Now that Marek landed his latest series to reduce CPU overhead, this test is already obsolete.
          Future is obsolete too, you just need to wait long enough

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

No new BiOs updates yet for my boards... I routinely check but nothing yet with the ne2 AGESA.
            for info - My Asus mobo there is this beta bios available
            Code:
            PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0803
            Beta BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6
            so if you haven't already got it, it might be in the pipeline

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK there are two separate considerations related to RAM speed.

The first is the usual "faster RAM gives more bandwidth / lower latency" and a number of apps showed performance gains starting to trail off after ~2666 as you said. Some apps need more bandwidth than that, however, and those apps will continue to scale up to considerably higher speeds (those are the apps that benefit from 4 memory channels).

The second relates to the inter-CCX connection, where inter-CCX latency decreases as memory clock is increased.There are a relatively small number of apps where this is a big factor, but again those apps continue to see improvement past 2666.

So it depends to some extent on what kind of apps you are running. But given a choice between 8GB of 3200 and 16GB of 2666 I would go with more/slower as well. That said, I don't remember the knee of the price curve being that low - anything up to 3000 seemed to cost pretty much the same a few months ago, and that number might be up to 3200 now.
              That's good to know - I kinda got spend happy when I went to get my new system - ended up with 32GiB of 2666 vs 16 of 3200

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                What will be AMD's offering for the Bay Trail category? Will there be anything?
                Bay Trail is just mobile, SoC Ivy Bridge. So, pretty much anything from the old, PSP-free 15h APU family. Turion, I think it was called? If you meant mobile in general, laptops with Ryzen+Vega APUs will be coming out "second half of 2017". I'd suggest sticking with the 15h family for security reasons, until and unless AMD finally stops hemming and hawing and just opens up the PSP's design and coding, though -- assuming you don't mind that the flagship FX-level APUs of that era are, to my knowledge, *all* thermally-throttled. >_> Good luck doing anything with the iGPU without the CPU getting massively downclocked.

re: the instability, I've only had issues so far as OpenGL and the aforementioned Vulkan stuff go. Mesa's Intel driver is fine running things in the default, OpenGL 3.0 compatibility profile, but anything trying to use something above that -- up to and including the max OpenGL 4.2 Core -- just crashes on initialization. (Tested via MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE). Nothing else goes down with it, though, so I'd say it's a pretty different issue than you have.

I remember there being something you added to the kernel config line to prevent it from dropping the CPU into a lower C-State that helped with some Intel chipsets, your tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                  Bay Trail is just mobile, SoC Ivy Bridge. So, pretty much anything from the old, PSP-free 15h APU family. Turion, I think it was called?
                  That 15h is not quite true, 16h Jaguar (Kabini) does not have PSP also... PSP started with Puma cat so Beema, etc...

Well, that "Bay Trail category" is per AMD categorized as ultramobile (well It is not only ultramobile, but real lowpower design or just so called Cats ), not mobile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icroprocessors

Kabini is 16h but it does not have PSP, while Beema yep.

They drop something in that ultramobile category every year, Carrizo-L (last cat Puma+), Stoney (that one is excavator 15h not a cat) and such.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 22 June 2017, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Can you do some Vulkan tests with Ryzen and 7700K not running all of their cores? I don't know if your boards let you do that in UEFI or not.

I wonder if RADV has some sort of thread synchronization performance problem. Maybe it's trying to make use of more cores but is adding more overhead than it is adding performance.

I don't know if disabling some cores will help test that scenario but maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

for info - My Asus mobo there is this beta bios available
                      Code:
                      PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0803
                      Beta BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6
                      so if you haven't already got it, it might be in the pipeline
                      MSI provides beta bioses for Michaels board with 1.0.0.6 aswell

Afaik 1.72,1.73 and 1.74 are with AGESA 1.0.0.6

Comment

Working...
                      X