Vulkan vs. OpenGL On Linux With Core i5, Core i7, Ryzen 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I would also like to know the RAM frequency.
    They were all DDR4-3000
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They were all DDR4-3000
      Effectively running at 3GHz?

Comment

Originally posted by bosjc View Post

Not really - this is the RADV driver which is open source and not even really supported by AMD, it has a long way yet to go and isn't optimized and hasn't even been certified for compliance yet. Nvidia's driver, for instance, generally shows good gains under Vulkan vs OpenGL.
        Do you think certified for compliance will magically make it better?

by your logic no driver is ever optimized, since optimized implies some finished state. Drivers nearly will always have optimisation opportunities across different applications, the amount of effort put in to find them is where the tradeoffs happen. There are plenty of optimisations in radv, there are still plenty more to write. The same goes for amdgpu-pro, they aren't just sitting on their hands finished here either.

We've got a few definite opportunities for optimisation, and hopefully the LLVM compiler will start getting more focus from the graphics side as the amd vulkan driver uses it and the AMD OpenGL team remove more and more CPU roadblocks. Maybe someday we'll get to the we can replace shaders wholesale behind the apps back and it's the only thing we have left to do stage.

Comment

these are some very different results from what people are used to getting on Windows (where in games Intel's lineup usually beats AMD's ryzens), AMD must have outdone themselves with the Linux Ryzen driver... Color me impressed.

Comment

Not really this is about the position Ryzen 1800x has with 1080p+ on Windows too.

Comment

Originally posted by jbennett View Post
              What ram speeds are these systems running at? Ryzen is dependent on ram speeds, and I'm curious what it was running at.
              That's the opposite to what I have seen in various articles around the net, 2666 vs 3200 was only a few percent better (i.e. not really worth the upgrade).

the recommendation was to go for more ram rather than super high frequency ram.

Comment

Michael any chance we can have an updated version of http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...dr4-bios&num=1 with the latest AGESA ?

more frequencies tested would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                  Michael any chance we can have an updated version of http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...dr4-bios&num=1 with the latest AGESA ?

more frequencies tested would be nice
                  No new BiOs updates yet for my boards... I routinely check but nothing yet with the ne2 AGESA.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                    That's the opposite to what I have seen in various articles around the net, 2666 vs 3200 was only a few percent better (i.e. not really worth the upgrade). the recommendation was to go for more ram rather than super high frequency ram.
                    AFAIK there are two separate considerations related to RAM speed.

The first is the usual "faster RAM gives more bandwidth / lower latency" and a number of apps showed performance gains starting to trail off after ~2666 as you said. Some apps need more bandwidth than that, however, and those apps will continue to scale up to considerably higher speeds (those are the apps that benefit from 4 memory channels).

The second relates to the inter-CCX connection, where inter-CCX latency decreases as memory clock is increased.There are a relatively small number of apps where this is a big factor, but again those apps continue to see improvement past 2666.

So it depends to some extent on what kind of apps you are running. But given a choice between 8GB of 3200 and 16GB of 2666 I would go with more/slower as well. That said, I don't remember the knee of the price curve being that low - anything up to 3000 seemed to cost pretty much the same a few months ago, and that number might be up to 3200 now.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 22 June 2017, 01:28 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

@bridgman As far as I know, overclockers go by table in different forums. They post the Samsung B-die kits that worked well and people start to take those - overclock them to 3200 and if they make it, they are happy. Most of those kits re not rated 3200 by default, but maybe 2666 CL 14 or something like that and end up - after memory training - with stuff like 3200 CL 15. (Of course with silicon lottery in mind) The price point on those kits is not "that" high, but the higher rates ones go off the roof - yes. Thats why people like the B-die - it overclocks fairly well for a lower price point.

I've seen a couple of AMP-memory-profile DDR4 kits as of now, but I'm not sure what to make out of them. Their stock frequencies look like they need a lot of memory training to hit 3200 CL 15-ish and no info if they overclock well on these either.

I personally would try to fill all 4 memory slots and also try to get them to 3200 while getting the CPU as close as possible to 4 GHz. This is the magical point for ... erm... "enthusiasts".

Comment

Working...
                      X