Vulkan vs. OpenGL On Linux With Core i5, Core i7, Ryzen 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
    Vulkan slower than OpenGL...that's disappointing given that Doom etc. were twice as fast.
    Testing Doom have to be done over WINE, I would still include it, it is sort of relevant. It seems that Prey requires DX11 and does not have OpenGL/Vulkan support, what a pitty, first game was amazing, and Prey 2017 got quite good scores in reviews.

Comment

Can we see something like this (with Ryzen), but on Nvidia? The AMD tests are nice and all, but, really kind of pointless other than to track the progress of their Vulkan driver (especially the open source Radv), as it really isn't ready for prime time. Where as Nvidia's Vulkan driver is pretty well baked at this point and would be interesting to see the comparisons of Vulkan between various CPUs against OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
        Vulkan slower than OpenGL...that's disappointing given that Doom etc. were twice as fast.
        Not really - this is the RADV driver which is open source and not even really supported by AMD, it has a long way yet to go and isn't optimized and hasn't even been certified for compliance yet. Nvidia's driver, for instance, generally shows good gains under Vulkan vs OpenGL.

Comment

What ram speeds are these systems running at? Ryzen is dependent on ram speeds, and I'm curious what it was running at.

Comment

Or vulkan is still not optimized or opengl is superior. in this specific context, however how opengl or vulkan manage physic engines?

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
              The Ryzen is always showing lower CPU utilization than the 7700k. Is this because that calculation is done across all cores, and the Ryzen 7 has twice as many? Cause its FPS is always lower, but its utilization is also lower.
              Not sure what figures you are looking at, but most of the results show very close performance between all three processors. Ryzen's performance certainly wasn't always slower.

Admittedly there were a couple of benchmarks where Ryzen lost by a larger margin, but then the same could also be said of the Intel processors.

Comment

Now, if only someone will finally finish/fix the Bay Trail Vulkan driver so ANYTHING can display geometry properly. Not even the vkcube demo works right -- triangles don't occlude each other in the right order. >_>

Talos Principle gets a huge loading-time and FPS boost there, but that's just a little bit useless if you can't see anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  Or vulkan is still not optimized or opengl is superior. in this specific context, however how opengl or vulkan manage physic engines?
                  Its the Radv driver. It isn't optimized, and is a completely work in progress that isn't even being developed by AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
                    Now, if only someone will finally finish/fix the Bay Trail Vulkan driver
                    After a few years on my old Sandybridge laptop, I just can't wait for Ryzen APUs, and get decent graphics. I don't use it for gaming, so I don't want anything with a discrete card. What I want is a driver that doesn't crash. After 2011, my iGPU took ~4years to get stable enough so that it won't crash once a week at least. It sill crashes, it just recovers more gracefully.

What will be AMD's offering for the Bay Trail category? Will there be anything?

Comment

I would also like to know the RAM frequency.

Comment

Working...
                      X