Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans In The Works For GNOME Tracker 2.0

Phoronix: Plans In The Works For GNOME Tracker 2.0

Version 2.0 is the next major release of GNOME's Tracker software for file meta-data indexing and searching...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please, scrap that and simply use Baloo. Baloo has turned into something way, way, WAY better than both the old Nepomuk indexing system and Tracker.

Comment

After nepomuk I will need a lot of time to regain trust in any open source indexing services :O

Comment

remove both and work together on a generic userspace-indexing service. Baloo is Qt only ... you can not use it without KIO. that will not work for everything outside Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
          Please, scrap that and simply use Baloo. Baloo has turned into something way, way, WAY better than both the old Nepomuk indexing system and Tracker.
          Lumks is right. Baloo relies on KIO and possibly other KDE libs. What we need is a piece of shared infrastructure which serves both communities sufficiently without relying solely on Glib, GVFS, GIO, KIO, or any other DE-related library.

Maybe one of the existing ones could be adapted or forked, though.
          Last edited by microcode; 11 June 2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

And please for the love of god in whatever version don't make it cause gnome to crawl to a halt while using apps.

It took me months last year to figure out why Gnome Session was locking up -- turned out the proces only seeable under root htop was Gnome Tracker trying to index about 2 million files (good luck.)

Comment

And please for the love of god in whatever version don't make it cause gnome to crawl to a halt while using apps.

It took me months last year to figure out why Gnome Session was locking up -- turned out the proces only seeable under root htop was Gnome Tracker trying to index about 2 million files (good luck.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Baloo. It do not index some files I have, from time to time I have to go to Dolphin, to search the files Baloo forgot/refuses to index.

Comment

tnx, but no tnx. You had your chance, you lost it about 10 years ago.
                  slocate/mlocate does what I want without taking up 20% of the disk space in my home partition and all 4 of my cpu cores.

EDIT:
                  This is some code I wrote for a small programming contest, It's incomplete but i still got 1st place because I somehow exceeded expectations:
                  Extremely small index size, cross-platform, C#/mono, some parts are only stub with no implementation, probably includes some spaghetti
                  http://bd2.ir/phoronix/FileSystemIndexer.zip or http://bd2.ir/phoronix/FileSystemIndexer.tar.xz
                  no license, enjoy it however you like

EDIT 2: I'm not even sure if it indexes the content or not. probably not.
                  Last edited by FastCode; 11 June 2017, 10:18 PM.

Comment

I have nothing bad bad memories with Gnome Tracker. The first time Fedora turned it on in a default Gnome session (i think it was Fedora 18? or 19?) it successfully brought my system to a crawl with the HDD indicator being permanently on and I was digging through top and gnome-system-monitor trying to figure out what the hell was causing all that disk activity.

Since then every distribution I use which has Gnome installed, I declare a cronjob to terminate all tracker activities on boot.

Comment

Working...
                    X