Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan Reaches New Milestones, Now Uses GLSLC Compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan Reaches New Milestones, Now Uses GLSLC Compiler

Phoronix: Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan Reaches New Milestones, Now Uses GLSLC Compiler

The VK9 open-source project working to implement the Direct3D 9 API over Vulkan has hit its 14th, 15th, and 16th self-set milestones...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it would be fine to play some legacy dx9 game by vulkan. There are beautiful titles as gears of war or spec ops the line to try the dx9 apis.

Comment

I'd be really interested in seeing Guild Wars 2 ran through this eventually.

Comment

this sounds like moltenVK

Comment

I wonder if they'll be a DX11 to Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            I wonder if they'll be a DX11 to Vulkan?
            It would be really nice and you could dump Windows as a gaming OS completely then, but DX11 is probably way too massive for a one-man project.
            Look how long Codeweavers is taking with DX11 for Wine, and that's a business having full-time employees on the DX11 translation layer.

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post

It would be really nice and you could dump Windows as a gaming OS completely then, but DX11 is probably way too massive for a one-man project.
              Look how long Codeweavers is taking with DX11 for Wine, and that's a business having full-time employees on the DX11 translation layer.
              Pretty sure they don't have many full timers working on it. From memory it wasn't something that was going to work on macs due to them not having a high enough OpenGL version. Thus they weren't concentrating on it as hard as they could have. In wine's case as well making it a Vulkan layer wouldn't be much use as Macs don't support that either.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Pretty sure they don't have many full timers working on it. From memory it wasn't something that was going to work on macs due to them not having a high enough OpenGL version. Thus they weren't concentrating on it as hard as they could have. In wine's case as well making it a Vulkan layer wouldn't be much use as Macs don't support that either.
                Afaik, Macs support up to OpenGL 4.1 and Wine's DX11 layer translates to OpenGL 4.0, but I could be wrong.
                Macs support VK indirectly via MoltenVK.
                As I understand MoltenVK is also a translation layer that translates to Metal, so this solution would have very high overhead on Macs, as there's two translation layers.
                Possible to do actually, but blame Apple for not natively supporting Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post

Afaik, Macs support up to OpenGL 4.1 and Wine's DX11 layer translates to OpenGL 4.0, but I could be wrong.
                  Macs support VK indirectly via MoltenVK.
                  As I understand MoltenVK is also a translation layer that translates to Metal, so this solution would have very high overhead on Macs, as there's two translation layers.
                  Possible to do actually, but blame Apple for not natively supporting Vulkan.
                  Unfortunately, they specifically couldn't implement DX11 on mac because Apples OGL version didn't have some necessary features. Source: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/...=27;msg=188503 . One of the options floated was to implement it under Metal, but that leaves us Linux users out to dry so also didn't gain overly much traction. As to MoltenVK, it's a great idea but remains a proprietary product with paid for licensing so can't be included in Wine itself. It could be a solution for the Codeweavers pro version but they'd still have to work out a licensing agreement that very well could cost them too much money. So yeah, blame Apple for not having Vulkan. In fact, just don't support Apple at all if you've got the option as they've become far worse than MS ever were.

Comment

I've seen someone say Besiege actually can work on VK9 through Wine with minor issues only, which is quite incredible at this point.
                    Unfortunately, though we use the same driver and distro, I can't actually run it, even with a clean win32 wineprefix because of some crash... But at least the VK9 demos (partly) work.
                    Hopefully the future brings up good news :P

Comment

Working...
                    X