Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV External Memory Patches Revised, Needed For SteamVR Support

Phoronix: RADV External Memory Patches Revised, Needed For SteamVR Support

Bas Nieuwenhuizen has taken to revising David Airlie's work on external memory support for the RADV Vulkan driver, which are among the extensions needed by SteamVR on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wondering if it's possible to use this extension to implement RDMA operations between gpus on different hosts like GPUDirect and DirectGMA but with consumers GPUs.
    Last edited by sp82; 05 June 2017, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sp82 View Post
      I wondering if it's possible to use this extension to implement RDMA operations between gpus on different hosts like GPUDirect and DirectGMA but with consumers GPUs.
      The biggest obstacle is that the Linux DMA API does not support access to device memory.

Comment

I'm a bit worried about security implications of this. I know that there is IOMMU, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

The biggest obstacle is that the Linux DMA API does not support access to device memory.
          Suppose I want to create a big cluster of gpus, not for mining!, to do distributed realtime raytracing global illumination and want to return the result back to a VR workstation (thanks Valve to make linux VR ready). Do you think is possible to RDMA using infiniband nics?

Comment

Suppose I want to create a big cluster of gpus, not for mining!, to do distributed realtime raytracing global illumination and want to return the result back to a VR workstation (thanks Valve to make linux VR ready). Do you think is possible to RDMA using infiniband nics?
            The lack of support for device memory in the DMA API is only a problem for cross device local memory access (e.g., device A DMAing directly to device B's local memory or vice versa). If lots of devices are working on their own local memory, it's not a problem.

Comment

Working...
            X