X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theriddick
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Ummm... that's the whole point of freesync.
    What? Have you used Freesync under windows yet? Its better to set a frame rate cap then enable vsync when freesync is enabled. Try it under Windows! Thats what it should be like for Linux.

Anyway in saying that even with my vsync setting turned on the fps still goes above my refresh rate for some reason so I can't be sure its actually even using freesync even thought its enabled. vblank_mode=1 btw, still goes above 60fps.
    Last edited by theriddick; 02 June 2017, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Here are the latest instructions we posted for the hybrid driver. What I'm not sure of is whether they require the amdgpu driver from the hybrid stack as well, will try to find out tomorrow:
    You need the hybrid stack since the current freesync solution was not upstreamable as is. It would be trivial to support on the open source stack however. I think it's just a patch or two for the ddx to call the freesync ioctl when it detects a full screen application.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    PS. Its a bit of a shame VSYNC must be enabled to have freesync working, because it often has considerably overhead&lag for OPENGL.
    Ummm... that's the whole point of freesync.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Yeah it says freesync_capable but freesync is set to 0. I did restart and set my display to freesync so not sure what thats about. Maybe it doesn't work with tearfree mode on?

I'll just follow the guide and attempt to enable it manually. I have a custom EDID I will use at some point also because my screen has quite a narrow freesync range by default.

EDIT: DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DisplayPort-2 --set "freesync" 1 //// That seems to have done it for me, nifty!

PS. Its a bit of a shame VSYNC must be enabled to have freesync working, because it often has considerably overhead&lag for OPENGL.
    Last edited by theriddick; 02 June 2017, 11:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Here are the latest instructions we posted for the hybrid driver. What I'm not sure of is whether they require the amdgpu driver from the hybrid stack as well, will try to find out tomorrow:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...-IN-LINUX.aspx

Maybe start by running the command to check FreeSync support as a first step:

To verify that your system supports FreeSync, please follow these steps:
    • Run 'DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop'
    • The output will show EDID information for all displays. Noteworthy parameters are the following:
    • freesync_capable
      • 0 = display does not support FreeSync
      • 1 = display supports FreeSync
    • freesync
      • 0 = FreeSync is currently disabled
      • 1 = FreeSync is currently enabled
    • Display hot-plug/unplug is not fully supported with FreeSync; please start your system with the FreeSync display connected.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK the agd5f/amd-staging-*.* trees include DAL/DC and freesync support. That code is starting to appear in easy-to-install packages, eg mystro256's builds:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...taging-kernel/
    Cheers, yeah I just installed it before. Appears to work well thought I can't find any real documentation about enabling freesync so I'm assuming its always on?

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    ssshhh, it's secret. Just VS/PS, geom/tess are going to be a big chunk of work.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    It be nice to get a open-source freesync implementation that we can all use.
    AFAIK the agd5f/amd-staging-*.* trees include DAL/DC and freesync support. That code is starting to appear in easy-to-install packages, eg mystro256's builds:

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    It be nice to get a open-source freesync implementation that we can all use.

Leave a comment:

• ResponseWriter
    replied
    Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
    I would love to see AMD open source their Vulkan driver, but with all the other things that have been promised to be open sourced.. It's a tedious waiting gaming.
    I would love to see more games use a Vulkan renderer, but with all the other things that have been promised a Linux port.. It's a tedious waiting game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X