Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Ballistic Overkill On Linux With Vulkan

Phoronix: Trying Out Ballistic Overkill On Linux With Vulkan

Aquiris Game Studio today released Ballistic Overkill with Vulkan support for this first person shooter built atop the Unity game engine. Being one of the few Linux Vulkan games at this time, I ran some quick tests with Radeon RADV and NVIDIA on Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I agree it would be nice if there was a benchmark mode!

Michael, you wrote

and no viable solution for independent FPS monitoring overlay with Vulkan on Linux
    Wouldn't the Steam overlay fit in? I don't have a Vulkan card, I am just curious.
    I hope RADV developers will jump in to address the issues (and I actually hope it's on RADV side, it's usually easier to fix, and benefits other games as well! )

Comment

Wao, nice, thank you Michael for letting us know.

Comment

Michael In the Time idle GPU benchmark, "Less is better", but Vulkan wins with a higher percent of GPU utilization.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          Michael In the Time idle GPU benchmark, "Less is better", but Vulkan wins with a higher percent of GPU utilization.
          It's just a generic LIB/HIB that's inserted, the system_monitor module by default just puts less utilization as better.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

uggh 32-bit. this makes me care just a little less, but maybe I'll find some care.

Comment

game tries to create a 0x0 sized image on radv, doesn't look like a driver bug.

print *pCreateInfo
              $6 = {sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_IMAGE_CREATE_INFO, pNext = 0x0, flags = 0, imageType = VK_IMAGE_TYPE_2D, format = VK_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_SRGB, extent = {width = 0, height = 0,
              depth = 1}, mipLevels = 1, arrayLayers = 1, samples = VK_SAMPLE_COUNT_1_BIT, tiling = VK_IMAGE_TILING_OPTIMAL, usage = 3, sharingMode = VK_SHARING_MODE_EXCLUSIVE,
              queueFamilyIndexCount = 0, pQueueFamilyIndices = 0x0, initialLayout = VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_UNDEFINED}
              • extent::width must be greater than 0.
              • extent::height must be greater than 0.

Comment

Unity vulkan is still *experimental*. I tried to make my game use vulkan by default but it leads to instant crash on windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.10 with Nvidia. I just haven't had any time to pinpoint the problem, but I guess some shaders cause it.

Comment

@GreenByte you can try to enable the validation layers (assuming you have the Vulkan SDK installed) to see if the engine is doing something wrong by setting the environment variable:
                  Code:
                  VK_INSTANCE_LAYERS=VK_LAYER_LUNARG_standard_validation
                  and monitoring standard output.

Comment

Has anyone here got the game? Is it fun? Other than the potential Vulkan glitches, is it stable on Linux in OpenGL?

Comment

Working...
                    X