Microsoft .NET Core 2.0 Preview Brings Better Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kushan View Post
    In before people turn "better linux support" into Microsoft somehow being evil.

(20 points to the first person to mention Embrace, Extend, Extinguish).
    Can you blame people for not trusting Microsoft?
    besides 20 points to you...

Comment

It's good that MS goes with a support for Linux. It can attract potential c# devs to open source solutions in the future.
      Too bad that many of oss fanboys doesn't see it that way.
      And support from big players always attracts attention.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Probably still better than any other text editor / IDE on Linux.
        You should check JetBrains IDE's.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Probably still better than any other text editor / IDE on Linux.
          Right.
          Since you're speaking from experience, here's mine.

I've been using monodevelop and visual studio for C# since .net 1.1 (there was no generic types back then) and after using monodevelop exclusively for more than 5 years now I havn't been able to use visual studio for more than a few minutes and not resort to swearing very loudly.

My biggest problems with visual studio are

1. The fuckin resx files and how they bite you in the ass everytime you want to do anything involving git or any other VCS.
          2. Resource usage; It simply cannot open a solution with 500+ projects(I mainly work on something that has more than 1500 plug-ins)
          3. Having to work in a windows environment. As a developer I just want to Alt+Ctrl+T and write whatever I want. I don't want to cd to GnuWin32 or msys2 and then 10 more cds to run my command and copy its output manually to the next command; It's a headache every time.
          4. *removed.*
          5. Sane editor; this includes: function/variable usage history in class member popup list;matching abbreviations in member lookups; better refactoring.
          6. Better source control (No one can successfuly do a pull/push with visual studio on their first try.)
          7. Community edition asks for a license if you had any other editions installed earlier, it doesn't go away, EVER.

and when they fix this list and a few dozen more minor issues, why would I change my IDE when monodevelop works just fine.
          Last edited by FastCode; 12 May 2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Last time i tried .NET Core 1.2 on Linux, not all APIs where fully supported.. For example the TCPClient did not accept a DNS name as "host" parameter but only supports IP addresses on Linux.. But apart from some minor issues like that, it runs pretty well! There embeeded Webserver (written in Managed Code) is way easier to handle than the http.sys driver / IIS crap on the windows platform! (You can use the Kestrel server on Windows as well now). https://github.com/aspnet/KestrelHttpServer

Visual Studio is a pretty nice IDE if you do small projects, the debugger is pretty nice in the enterprise edition, for example the historical debugging features are a nice thing! They save a full stackdump + environment every time a specific event occurs (like a caught exception) and you can go back to that stack state / environment post mortem!
            Apart from that git integration is horrible and *.csproj files suck (XML + a lot of custom crap), there are new *.csproj files for .NET Core which are pretty slimmed down but they are still not that nice if you compare it to CMake or the like.

The NuGet System helps a lot / you can do nice shortcuts with it like including custom build targets and so on, however the API is horrible and their are million of side effects / implicit configuration rules..

Their JSON serializer still sucks as do their XML serializer.. However everyone uses Newtonsoft.JSON anyway.. I have never seen a XML Serializer that slow / Resource hungry in any other Environment.

Integration into their Entity Framework is bad for third party databases like SQLite or MySQL/MariaDB.. They donĀ“t offer a out of the box "file database" like SQLite, all options are either a horrible wrapped C-API (Jet Blue), unmaintained (SQL Server Compact) or extermly slow / bad (Jet Red)..

Comment

Microsoft "Linux is now a single target"

Comment

Some of you guys must be smoking crack. Visual Studio Code is just a fancy notepad app with plugins. Its probably good for writing a web page. Visual Studio 2017, however, is probably the most advanced IDE out there, especially for .NET. I've been drinking the coolaid ladies, and its good. Windows 10, VS 2017, C#, Azure hosted WebApi web services... hell, even SQL Server is solid. I will say this since I am going on a rant now... PostreSQL has some really sexy JSON stuff going on that you can't really find anywhere else.

I was on this big Linux / BSD cycle... I'd keep switching back and forth. I was in love with Ubuntu for a while, then I thought FreeBSD was where it was at... then I wanted a better version of FreeBSD with real apps, so I went OS X... and that is when I turned to the dark side and went Windows 10. All of this Mir/Wayland drama, news of stuff like OpenCL finally starting to get real support... I just can't go back.

Comment

Originally posted by FastCode View Post
                  3. Having to work in a windows environment. As a developer I just want to Alt+Ctrl+T and write whatever I want. I don't want to cd to GnuWin32 or msys2 and then 10 more cds to run my command and copy its output manually to the next command; It's a headache every time.
                  Ummm. How about creating a shortcut for msys2 then? On my Windows 8.1 dev machine I simply press Win+R, then type bash and presto! An msys2 based bash terminal opens up.
                  I could probably even bind a global key combination to it, so it would be as straightforward as ALT+CTRL+T.

Windows 10 Anniversary and up also include the ability to install bash and parts of the Ubuntu userland, so it's even more straightforward over there.

6. Better source control (No one can successfuly do a pull/push with visual studio on their first try.)
                  I just use GIT from the commandline/bash. Never quite liked the idea of pushing/pulling from within the IDE. It just invites hasty decision making.
                  Last edited by unixfan2001; 12 May 2017, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
                    You should check JetBrains IDE's.
                    JetBrain's IDEs are proprietary software.
                    Microsoft's Visual Studio Code is free open source software!

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                    LTheir JSON serializer still sucks as do their XML serializer.. However everyone uses Newtonsoft.JSON anyway.
                    Nobody uses Microsoft's own JSON serializer, not even Microsoft themselves. Everyone uses NewtonSoft.JSON, even Microsoft themselves.
                    ASP.NET Core uses NewtonSoft.JSON. So just use NewtonSoft.JSON and forget about the old DataContract JSON serializer.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                      Integration into their Entity Framework is bad for third party databases like SQLite or MySQL/MariaDB.. They donĀ“t offer a out of the box "file database" like SQLite, all options are either a horrible wrapped C-API (Jet Blue), unmaintained (SQL Server Compact) or extermly slow / bad (Jet Red)..
                      Entity Framework have a SQLite provider.

Also several for MySQL.
                      Information about specific supported Entity Framework Core providers and about providers in general

Comment

Working...
                      X