Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan vs. OpenGL For Mad Max On AMD Ryzen

Phoronix: Vulkan vs. OpenGL For Mad Max On AMD Ryzen

It's been fun benchmarking Vulkan vs. OpenGL with Mad Max, Feral's first Linux game port featuring a beta Vulkan renderer. With the Radeon benchmarks and many NVIDIA Pascal tests yesterday an Intel Core i7 Kabylake CPU was used while for this article is a Mad Max run with AMD's Ryzen 7 1800X.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting - it appears on Ryzen, the OpenGL performance is better but Vulkan is worse (compared to Intel), despite the substantial difference in frequency.

Comment

I wonder how the scaling governor affects the results. I find my AMD really likes performance settings especially in Vulkan games like Dota2. I get at least 10% better performance.

Comment

I finally pulled a trigger and got Ryzen. Wow, what a great platform. No issues whatsoever, performs beyond my expectation. If anyone is interested I tested virtualbox, vmware workstation on Windows nad KVM on linux and it's all working. I managed to fire up 25 Juniper vMX routers at 30% CPU utilization and 28GB of RAM and 24 Juniper vSRX firewalls at 50% CPU utilization and 26 GB of RAM. Both of them require 2vCPUs and 1GB of RAM per VM. Of course I could squeeze more but that's just as far as I went with it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Interesting - it appears on Ryzen, the OpenGL performance is better but Vulkan is worse (compared to Intel), despite the substantial difference in frequency.
          Well Ryzen just came out, so I am sure that all the Vulkan performance tuning that Feral did during the development process was on Intel CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            Well Ryzen just came out, so I am sure that all the Vulkan performance tuning that Feral did during the development process was on Intel CPUs.
            I understand that, but it doesn't explain why Ryzen did better on OpenGL. Not that I'm complaining (I intend to get a Ryzen 5 myself)

Comment

Originally posted by LostinSpacetime View Post
              I wonder how the scaling governor affects the results. I find my AMD really likes performance settings especially in Vulkan games like Dota2. I get at least 10% better performance.
              I believe Michael has said in the past that all his benchmarks use the performance governor.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I understand that, but it doesn't explain why Ryzen did better on OpenGL. Not that I'm complaining (I intend to get a Ryzen 5 myself)
                At least we can guess explaination should be similar as for Tomb Raider where Kaby was much slower than Ryzen too:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ti-ryzen&num=3

One games favor one vendor CPU and other another... maybe someone should make mobo for both so that people can switch CPUs
                Last edited by dungeon; 31 March 2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

The OpenGL looks good with ryzen and the vulcan is another story.
                  But when comparing to the nvidia article it seems that in the nvidia article an GTX 1080Ti is used while in this article it's an GTX 1080, so they can't be compared it's apple and paers.
                  I would like to see an intel i7 7700 vs amd ryzen 7 1700 with the same graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                    The OpenGL looks good with ryzen and the vulcan is another story.
                    But when comparing to the nvidia article it seems that in the nvidia article an GTX 1080Ti is used while in this article it's an GTX 1080, so they can't be compared it's apple and paers.
                    I would like to see an intel i7 7700 vs amd ryzen 7 1700 with the same graphics card.
                    I noticed the same thing, but the fact of the matter is the GL performance is still better on Ryzen despite the lower CPU frequency and slower GPU. That's just plain weird.

Comment

Working...
                    X