RADV Radeon Vulkan Gets Patches For Tessellation Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
    Ok, I'm in the process of trying to convert over to team Red from team Green after a decade.

So, there are 4 different video drivers for a semi-modern (7xxx) card? Is there a good place to find a good comparison of the differences?
    No, it's not that difficult.

There are only 2 drivers - radeonsi (mesa/oss) and the pro (amd/proprietary) drivers.

On the kernel side, just stick with whatever the default is. There are a couple generations with overlap where you can choose to go with radeon or amdgpu - the only reason to go with amdgpu instead of the default is if you're trying to get the radv vulkan driver running.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

No, it's not that difficult.

There are only 2 drivers - radeonsi (mesa/oss) and the pro (amd/proprietary) drivers.

On the kernel side, just stick with whatever the default is. There are a couple generations with overlap where you can choose to go with radeon or amdgpu - the only reason to go with amdgpu instead of the default is if you're trying to get the radv vulkan driver running.
      I'm not saying it's difficult, just maybe a little overly complicated. I've been using various linux distros for 10 years so I'm in a little different position than someone more new to the scene. On the Nvidia side you have the open driver or the proprietary driver. There are more than 2 AMD drivers.

1. mesa - This is what is installed by default AKA radeon(si?)

2. fgrlx - this is the old proprietary driver that seems depreciated, but it's still kicking around and a newcomer will still have this returned from a lot of searches.

3. AMDGPU-PRO - this is the new proprietary driver (with mostly open parts???)

--- this is where things get fuzzy

4. AMDGPU - this is the open bits of the PRO driver, but it's not fully free as people still complain about it regularly? There is a different install process from the PRO driver....

5. radv vulkan driver - this is an open(?) Vulkan driver. Is it a separate thing or does it work in conjunction with another driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post

I'm not saying it's difficult, just maybe a little overly complicated. I've been using various linux distros for 10 years so I'm in a little different position than someone more new to the scene. On the Nvidia side you have the open driver or the proprietary driver. There are more than 2 AMD drivers.
        You're making it more complicated than it really is. That's typical of someone who hangs out on Phoronix and has heard all these different buzzwords and project names - if you were new, you'd just see there's 1 OSS and 1 proprietary driver, just like NVidia.

1. mesa - This is what is installed by default AKA radeon(si?)
        Correct, that's the default GL driver and it's called radeonsi for your hardware. (Older generations have different drivers/names).

2. fgrlx - this is the old proprietary driver that seems depreciated, but it's still kicking around and a newcomer will still have this returned from a lot of searches.

3. AMDGPU-PRO - this is the new proprietary driver (with mostly open parts???)
        fglrx was rebranded to AMDGPU-PRO, with the newer one using the open source kernel bits. fglrx will no longer work on anything even halfway recent, so you can completely ignore it. (It sucked anyway, so good riddance) The PRO drivers won't even work on the most recent distros, but if you want the proprietary drivers that's what you go for.

--- this is where things get fuzzy

4. AMDGPU - this is the open bits of the PRO driver, but it's not fully free as people still complain about it regularly? There is a different install process from the PRO driver....
        This is just the kernel part of the driver. Ignore it, and use whatever you get by default. You distro will have this by default as part of their default kernel. If you get newer kernels, you get newer kernel drivers. Dowloading and installing the proprietary drivers will replace this (On NVidia you get their proprietary kernel driver installed, for AMDGPU-PRO you get their updated bits - most of the PRO kernel driver is already the same as upstream, but they still have bits and pieces that haven't been upstreamed yet so you get that on top)
        5. radv vulkan driver - this is an open(?) Vulkan driver. Is it a separate thing or does it work in conjunction with another driver?
        This is part of mesa, so you can compile it in Mesa the same way you compile the radeonsi (GL) driver. If you get the PRO drivers from AMD, they have their own proprietary Vulkan driver as part of that package, the same way the NVidia proprietary drivers do.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          You're making it more complicated than it really is. That's typical of someone who hangs out on Phoronix and has heard all these different buzzwords and project names - if you were new, you'd just see there's 1 OSS and 1 proprietary driver, just like NVidia.
          Wow, thanks for the info man!

Comment

Working...
          X