No announcement yet.

AMD Open-Sources Vulkan "Anvil"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am confused, Should I start with Anvil or Vulkan-hpp? Vulkan-hpp is pretty basterdized, auto generated code.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Strange, isn't it? It's almost like the name "anvil" has some association with Vulcan, Roman god of the forge.
      Hephaestus using an anvil is prior art. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
        Hephaestus using an anvil is prior art. :-D
        Homer (not Simpson) is epic, but Simpson is fine too

Comment

Originally posted by orome View Post
          It's as if AMD had a special Department of Poor and Confusing Names, that they consult before every release...
          Not only them. I sometimes think our company (energy sector) has such department too. The projects here have funny/fancy/stupid names. Once they came up with a project called "Manhatten"...
          Lockheed
          PS: no, our project was not directly related to the original Manhatten Project...

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
            I am confused, Should I start with Anvil or Vulkan-hpp? Vulkan-hpp is pretty basterdized, auto generated code.
            Vulkan-hpp is pretty much a raw Vulkan binding, Anvil is a lot more than that, and IMHO it looks rather promising if you just want to get things done. I'd definetly consider it.

Comment

Typical! Large multi-national company does what very few do and releases source-code for something that benefits everybody (potentially, through increased Vulkan adoption). People complain about the name.

Thanks, AMD!

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
                Typical! Large multi-national company does what very few do and releases source-code for something that benefits everybody (potentially, through increased Vulkan adoption). People complain about the name.

Thanks, AMD!
                When the quantity of things to complain about drops, people will complain about the smallest of things.

Comment

All of the examples run fine on radv by the way. So that's good.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Well Anvil reminds me on Ubisoft's game engine, they use that name for decade... so only who wants to be confused can be confused
                    And Minecrafts savegame file format is also called Anvil.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Compared to their decision to call AMDGPU multiple stuff, this is a minor thing.
                      I can only think of one thing called AMDGPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X