Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU Is Interested In Vulkan Guest Support "Vulkan-ize Virgl"

Phoronix: QEMU Is Interested In Vulkan Guest Support "Vulkan-ize Virgl"

The QEMU project is hoping for some interested developers to enhance VirGL for better offering OpenGL guest support with QEMU guests and possibly extend it to include Vulkan support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian is still stuck without Virgl acceleration in Qemu/KVM. Really annoying, but apparently maintainers don't see those features as stable enough yet:

* https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=813658
    * https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=849569

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      ""internships are open internationally to women (cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people. Additionally, they are open to residents and nationals of the United States of any gender who are Black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander.""

why not just say something like this: everyone is welcome ?-...

I think it is because NOT everyone is welcome LOL

maybe if you are a white male you are NOT welcome LOL...
      I haven't looked so don't know for certain, but very much sounds like an american organization. We have many years of racial inequity here and people know it. So we've learned to become very specific in order to cover our asses.

Comment

"It's not discrimination if it's against white men!"

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I haven't looked so don't know for certain, but very much sounds like an american organization. We have many years of racial inequity here and people know it. So we've learned to become very specific in order to cover our asses.
          It is 'Outreach', so finding someone who isn't already in it.
          Or in this case: Someone from a group that usually gets fucked over.(*)

(*) By the organizers estimation of 'usually gets fucked over'

Comment

Whilst I am all for inclusivity, it seems free software projects would surely want all the help they can get. Positive discrimination against white men is therefore not good in my mind, as they are missing people out.

Comment

Ugh not this stupid political correctness argument again...

Can we just focus on the article? Personally, I'd say "Vulkanizing" QEMU is a pretty substantial addition. Due to the low-level nature of Vulkan, I think this could end up having a greater performance impact than VirGL.

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
                "It's not discrimination if it's against white men!"
                This is exactly what it is. I wish instead of whitelisting every group of people accepted they would just make the considerably shorter list of people they are blacklisting. I mean we ALL know what they are saying and they get away with this because they are simply not saying it overtly.

Gender. Sexual preference. Race. Disability. Programming ability. --- only one of these makes for a good developer. I don't know how in hell we rolled back decades of civil rights and judging people on the content of their character (or coding ability) to this. And I got to admit, I also don't know how in hell these goddamn snowflakes are making their way into these long-established projects and shitting them up. And that goes doubly for the existing developers donating their time for free and happen to fit into this group being discriminated against and tolerating it. I would fork the project immediately.
                Last edited by ParticleBoard; 20 March 2017, 03:26 PM. Reason: words

Comment

Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post

This is exactly what it is. I wish instead of whitelisting every group of people accepted they would just make the considerably shorter list of people they are blacklisting. I mean we ALL know what they are saying and they get away with this because they are simply not saying it overtly.

Gender. Sexual preference. Race. Disability. Programming ability. --- only one of these makes for a good developer. I don't know how in hell we rolled back decades of civil rights and judging people on the content of their character (or coding ability) to this. And I got to admit, I also don't know how in hell these goddamn snowflakes are making their way into these long-established projects and shitting them up. And that goes doubly for the existing developers donating their time for free and happen to fit into this group being discriminated against and tolerating it. I would fork the project immediately.
                  You can do that of course, but would it actually make sense? I also think you misrepresent what discrimination actually is. It's only discrimination when considering two equally qualified individuals, or when considering one less qualified individual that gets a position over a more qualified individual.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    You can do that of course, but would it actually make sense? I also think you misrepresent what discrimination actually is. It's only discrimination when considering two equally qualified individuals, or when considering one less qualified individual that gets a position over a more qualified individual.
                    Discrimination doesn't require equal qualifications, it requires a decision to be made despite qualifications. That being said, Outreachy is, by definition, discrimination. However, the purpose of it is to help encourage people who are frequently and traditionally discriminated against (AKA, anyone who isn't a white male). So, I personally am in favor of it, because how else are these people going to see any opportunities when they'll be discriminated against for a "more accepting" job?

Remember, this is just an internship. The sole purpose of internships is to get your foot in the door and build your resume. For people who may be discriminated against, that just simply levels the playing field.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 20 March 2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X