Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 GDC Khronos/Vulkan Videos Now Available

Phoronix: 2017 GDC Khronos/Vulkan Videos Now Available

The Khronos session videos from this year's Game Developers' Conference (GDC 17) are now available online...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The first video, the one I'm most interested, has a copyright claim and "is not available in your country" (the US).
    So annoying.

Comment

Thumbnail... "Reaching the largest gaming platform... the web."
      Yeah, but you don't buy a GTX 1080 Ti for playing browser games, right?

But I get it. Its a huge market and everyone not having a dedicated battlestation is either doing stuff on a smartphone or console.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
        The first video, the one I'm most interested, has a copyright claim and "is not available in your country" (the US).
        So annoying.
        It should be fixed now.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
          Thumbnail... "Reaching the largest gaming platform... the web."
          Yeah, but you don't buy a GTX 1080 Ti for playing browser games, right?

But I get it. Its a huge market and everyone not having a dedicated battlestation is either doing stuff on a smartphone or console.
          As a hobbyist game developer... it's way easier to convince people to visit a web link than it is to convince them to download, install, and launch an executable.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

As a hobbyist game developer... it's way easier to convince people to visit a web link than it is to convince them to download, install, and launch an executable.
            Are we already at this point? I'm living inside the PC-Master-Race bubble, so I don't get to know much about how the plebs are behaving. :P
            I've heard from my prof, that the new first semester of students don't even know what a tree-diagram is, because they don't use computers anymore but only smartphones (or whatever leads to that)

Its an engineering class with a lot of focus on signal processing. Now you tell me, clicking a link is the new thing instead of the "standard approach" (I mean, on steam, its also just "clicks")

I think I get the picture... somehow. It must be super-easy, everything has to do everything by itself, must be some sort of mindreading and if you can't control it with a simple click on an x/y axis, its already too complicated. Is that (roughly) hitting the mark?

Comment

on steam, its also just "clicks" [...] Is that (roughly) hitting the mark?
              Right, but I'm not on Steam. My stuff isn't even ready for itch.io yet. And, you're assuming that normal people you might want to share stuff with actually have Steam installed.
              I find users are hesitant to install any new applications. People who aren't PC enthusiasts (of any variety) have become so fearful of installing things for fear of viruses. I've heard so many people say things that allude to a weird belief that simply having something installed makes your PC slower.
              But, I don't think even that is 100% the reason. Really, it's that installing your app takes time, and then they have to uninstall it afterwards if they don't want it. It's a lot of effort for something they're not sure if your app if worth distracting themselves with or not. There's a lot of games and a lot of other things to keep people busy. If a game isn't more compelling than things one already has installed, it's in it's favor to make itself convenient enough that curiosity wins out over doing something else.
              Not all users are bored and waiting for your game to come relieve that boredom. There's plenty of other stuff to do.

Comment

Are we already at this point?
                Yeah, large amounts of people know only how to operate a browser, or basic smartphone functions (watsapp/facebook/whatever).

I think I get the picture... somehow. It must be super-easy, everything has to do everything by itself, must be some sort of mindreading and if you can't control it with a simple click on an x/y axis, its already too complicated. Is that (roughly) hitting the mark?
                Yeah, also 3D is usually too much for their feeble minds. 2D arcades are the most complex game for the masses.

Have a look at exibhit 1 here, Candy Crush (one of the most famous dumb games) makes like 500k per day with a game that is roughly "connect four" https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-da...dy-crush-saga/

Comment

If you guys haven't seen the round-table discussion on the "When Vulkan was One: Looking Back, Looking Ahead", make sure to catch it. One question even mentions Phoronix

Comment

Okay, thanks for the (depressing) answers. I guess, I'm just staying away from general humankind like I always have. :-/

Anyhow, due to my broken internet, I can't watch the videos. Any news to Vulkan next?

Comment

Working...
                    X