No announcement yet.

A Chat With Khronos President Neil Trevett About Vulkan, OpenXR, SPIR-V In 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Chat With Khronos President Neil Trevett About Vulkan, OpenXR, SPIR-V In 2017

Phoronix: A Chat With Khronos President Neil Trevett About Vulkan, OpenXR, SPIR-V In 2017

Yesterday I had a call with The Khronos Group president Neil Trevett to discuss some of their latest initiatives and the ongoing advancements to the Vulkan API, WebGL, SPIR-V, and more. Here were some of the highlights...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Apple... The only company too greedy to support Vulkan... Khronos, don't give in to this!

Comment

Originally posted by triangle View Post
      Apple... The only company too greedy to support Vulkan... Khronos, don't give in to this!
      How about MoltenVK?

Comment

Apple should simply die.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by triangle View Post
          Apple... The only company too fucking stupid to support Vulkan... Khronos, don't give in to this!
          Fixed.

Comment

I don't understand why these idiots back Microsoft. In vanity they will watch their OS X Marketshare drop below Linux's somewhere in the future. And when their families get spied all day with drones while they don't even have the smallest bit of remaining security on their PCs they will notice how stupid they were.
            They don't just endanger their own future. They are also responsible when Vulkan won't be adopted widely keeping the spyware alive. You can't even ask for a minimum of solidarity. The rat eats the mouse while the foot of the rhinoceros is coming closer towards their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Fixed.
              My logic was metal = vendor lock-in = greed

Comment

I am still not convinced by the portable initiative. I mean if it is really about Apple, fuck them, fuck their Metal API, no one cares. How can you be so ignorant to force developers into such your own API (metal) when you have 4-6% marketshare...

Comment

I don't know it sounds a bit like that Khronos is not convinced at all about Vulkan.

Comment

Vulkan is already made to be the spot everyone meets. When Apple believes that they can survive building a fence around their tiny world let them get what they deserve.

I don't believe that Metal or DX12 will stay compatible if they would be forced to. They are only made not to be compatible. Another API by Khronos will weaken Vulkan. It could be interesting who introduced this idea.
                    It would be way more helpful when Sony would implement Vulkan in the PS4 (Pro). Perhaps they are more likely to be convinced. I really don't understand how Apple and Sony are strategically stupid enough not to use this chance to put some pressure on Microsoft.

One thing is sure. If I ever develop games I would just drop everyone who doesn't support Vulkan. I would not spend one cent for Sonys or Microsofts pieces. The mobile sector with the Nintendo Switch and PC are big enough when the game is fun. Casual gaming is growing anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X