Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.0.42 Released With A Slew Of New Extensions: Multi-Device, VR, Semaphores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do Khronos Group and LunarG promote a closed-source paying software such as MoltenVK inside the official Vulkan (=standard) SDK ?

Comment

Can someone (preferably someone already creating games/engines with Vulkan support) convince me Vulkan wont end like OpenGL with extensions left and right and every driver supporting its own subset. Developers would be crazy to jump on this mess. If I would need to select a graphics API I would choose one with a well defined interface that is supported by every driver.
      I really cant see how Vulkan offers any benefit here. And now there's platform specific extensions too. Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmboy0 View Post
        Can someone (preferably someone already creating games/engines with Vulkan support) convince me Vulkan wont end like OpenGL with extensions left and right and every driver supporting its own subset.
        Unlike OpenGL, extensions in Vulkan are opt-in. You can not accidentally rely on functionality provided by an extension without knowing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sumenia View Post
          Why do Khronos Group and LunarG promote a closed-source paying software such as MoltenVK inside the official Vulkan (=standard) SDK ?
          I am guessing these are extensions submitted by MoltenVK that are generic and can be used by future open implementations, and not specific to MoltenVK. I guess it has MVK in it mainly because it was submitted by them? I could be wrong though, just guessing.

Comment

Would be interesting if we can get a MoltenVK vs Metal benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Polarina View Post
              Unlike OpenGL, extensions in Vulkan are opt-in. You can not accidentally rely on functionality provided by an extension without knowing it.
              What happens, when you opt-in to an extension your driver doesnt support?

Comment

Originally posted by Farmboy0 View Post

What happens, when you opt-in to an extension your driver doesnt support?
                You get an error message saying it doesn't support it.

The point isn't that it's impossible to screw things up, the point is that now driver developers instantly get feedback about exactly what extensions games need. No need to try and create traces to reverse engineer the game and debug what it's trying to do - it just tells you up front.

Also, game devs have to provide that information up front and it will tell them immediately if they are using some nvidia extension, at which point they might think about that and decide whether or not they really need to use it or not. The current situation in GL is they just start typing code - maybe copied from an example they found somewhere - and it works when they run it on their dev machines so they don't even realize they are using some custom extension that won't work on other drivers.

Comment

Working...
                X