The Vulkan Differences Between AMDGPU-PRO, RADV & SteamVR's RADV Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vulkan Differences Between AMDGPU-PRO, RADV & SteamVR's RADV Drivers

Phoronix: The Vulkan Differences Between AMDGPU-PRO, RADV & SteamVR's RADV Drivers

With Valve having published a binary-only RADV Radeon Vulkan driver build for their beta of SteamVR on Linux, I did some poking out of curiosity to see the differences to the mainline RADV driver in Mesa. Out of curiosity I also did a comparison to see how the Vulkan capabilities compare to the proprietary AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those wondering about the exact vulkaninfo diffs between RADV and SteamVR RADV:

--- radv-vulkaninfo 2017-02-22 10:21:18.114418996 -0500
    +++ radv-steamvr 2017-02-22 10:25:51.881880121 -0500
    @@ -133,13 +191,17 @@
    residencyAlignedMipSize = 0
    residencyNonResidentStrict = 0

-Device Extensions count = 6
    +Device Extensions count = 10
    VK_KHR_maintenance1 : extension revision 1
    VK_KHR_sampler_mirror_clamp_to_edge : extension revision 1
    VK_KHR_swapchain : extension revision 68
    VK_AMD_draw_indirect_count : extension revision 1
    VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2: extension revision 1
    VK_KHR_shader_draw_parameters : extension revision 1
    + VK_NV_dedicated_allocation : extension revision 1
    + VK_KHX_external_memory_capabilities : extension revision 1
    + VK_KHX_external_memory : extension revision 1
    + VK_KHX_external_memory_fd : extension revision 1

VkQueueFamilyProperties[0]:
    ===========================
    @@ -182,7 +244,7 @@

memoryHeapCount = 3
    memoryHeaps[0] :
    - size = 3984752640 (0xed828000)
    + size = 3942973440 (0xeb050000)
    flags:
    VK_MEMORY_HEAP_DEVICE_LOCAL_BIT
    memoryHeaps[1] :
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

cool

Khronos did say that virtual reality would be a focus of Vulkan 1.1
      Vulkan, the cross-platform alternative to DirectX 12, was recently released, but Vulkan Next is already in the works. That’s big news for Steam Machines, Linux, Android, and even Windows gaming PCs.

Expect khronos to official unveil the new spec at GDC next month. And then the rad-v devs will be allowed to open source this.

Comment

How is radv licensed?

UPDATE: Looks like it's MIT, so Valve can do that without publishing the source of derived version.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          How is radv licensed?

UPDATE: Looks like it's MIT, so Valve can do that without publishing the source of derived version.
          Why on earth would Valve not release the source later? They have zero commercial interest in keeping this closed. It will most likely be opened after a code cleanup and the official introduction of those functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post

Why on earth would Valve not release the source later? They have zero commercial interest in keeping this closed. It will most likely be opened after a code cleanup and the official introduction of those functions.
            We are still waiting on the Steam Controller API to be open sourced.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post

I don't see any good reasons, just commenting on how they released now without a source.

Comment

Valve didn't write any of the patches (they tested and provided fixes), I think I wrote all the necessary ones, so I'll just upstream them when Khronos gets moving.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post
                  Valve didn't write any of the patches (they tested and provided fixes), I think I wrote all the necessary ones, so I'll just upstream them when Khronos gets moving.
                  What's your opinion on the new extensions? If you can tell anything of course

Comment

Is the open-source driver going to get freesync sometime I wonder?

Comment

Working...
                    X