Happy First Birthday Vulkan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post

They will change their minds. Once there are more than 2 games available, of course.

In the meantime, kudos to Khronos, kudos to Vulkan driver devs, and f...k you game devs, not using Vulkan.
    I believe Vulkan needs some time. Even on Windows the Intel driver was officially released a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

I believe Vulkan needs some time. Even on Windows the Intel driver was officially released a few days ago.
      When Metal will die maybe. Apple like to do some "vendor locking". With is unfortunate as everyone should be able to use Vulkan, at lease on decent hardware.

Comment

I would like to see some game dev perspectives on dx12 vs vulkan. Not the high level stuff that we always hear about how they are conceptually the same and vulkan is cross-platform etc.. But rather a practical view on ease of use, documentation, learning curve, support etc... The stuff that devs care about.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Given the actual development speed of RADV, I think AMD's Vulkan driver will be obsolete, whenTMit will be available as open source.
          Regardless, I think it would still benefit the open source driver if it could access and see AMD's implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by JAYL View Post

Regardless, I think it would still benefit the open source driver if it could access and see AMD's implementation.
            Yeah, I think we'll all agree with that one. But, I personally believe RadV exists because those guys intuited it would be needed before AMD was ready to release code. I'm not saying they were psychic or anything like that, just that they have inside understanding and were able to tell from intuition that a Vulkan driver would be needed before AMD was ready. Which I believe AMD after the fact has delayed releasing their implementation because RadV exists.

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post

I ratter say that Apple barely support OpenGL.
              Maybe they’re still smarting over the failure of QuickDraw 3D...

What 3D API did NeXTStep support?

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
                Maybe they’re still smarting over the failure of QuickDraw 3D...
                What 3D API did NeXTStep support?
                I think it was some kind of PostScript for screen use (ie Visual PostScript or PoscScript 3D).
                Plus a special version of OpenGL?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammond View Post
                  I think it was some kind of PostScript for screen use (ie Visual PostScript or PoscScript 3D).
                  Plus a special version of OpenGL?
                  There was no 3D PostScript. And I think it was too early for OpenGL.

Comment

Ok, but I do remember that I read something about PostScript and the screen with NeXTSTEP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammond View Post
                      Ok, but I do remember that I read something about PostScript and the screen with NeXTSTEP.
                      It was "Display PostScript" and Display PostScript is 2D, not 3D.

Comment

Working...
                      X