RSPIRV: Google's Rust Implementation Of SPIR-V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zucca View Post
    Linus would propably think otherwise. :P At least he's been bashing C++ without sparing any words.
    True dat, but C++ isn't Rust.

Comment

The fact that google is developing something in Rust should already give some boost.
      I was mildly shocked to see Google playing in this epace considering they have their own systems programming language. I wonder if it is "official" or a private project.

Comment

Linus would propably think otherwise. :P At least he's been bashing C++ without sparing any words.
        Sometimes C++ needs a little bashing. However one could argue that much of Linux would be better off built with C++, especially the more modern variants of C++. That might not include machine level kernel code but going to C++ would eliminate a bunch of old dodgy code.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

I was mildly shocked to see Google playing in this epace considering they have their own systems programming language. I wonder if it is "official" or a private project.
          It's a 20% project from a Google dev. And Go is not a system programming language.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Sometimes C++ needs a little bashing. However one could argue that much of Linux would be better off built with C++, especially the more modern variants of C++. That might not include machine level kernel code but going to C++ would eliminate a bunch of old dodgy code.
            The issue with C++ is that it's easier to write working code that's badly programmed, while C doesn't have this issue as much (i.e. not as bad), plus the simpler nature of C can make things easier to manage from a quality perspective.
            C++ maybe better from a best case scenario perspective, but abstractions can work against enforcing code quality or visual inspection. I feel like something like Rust would make more sense, once it's matured more, due to obvious security benefits. I wouldn't say C++ is a panacea for fixing "old dodgy code".

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              And Go is not a system programming language.
              The best way I've heard it summed up like this:

Go has been called a C++-killer because it is... if you're Google. Most people don't use C++ instead of Python, Ruby, and Java as heavily as Google does.

Comment

Working...
              X