A Vulkan Renderer Is Being Worked On For The Original Unreal Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Vulkan Renderer Is Being Worked On For The Original Unreal Engine

Phoronix: A Vulkan Renderer Is Being Worked On For The Original Unreal Engine

There's a Vulkan implementation being worked on for the original Unreal Engine, what was released back in 1998 to power Unreal and Unreal Tournament games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I used to play Unreal once a year for a long time. Was massively into UT99 and loved Rune. No real reason to bring any of these titles to Vulkan. But I guess its a fun project to learn Vulkan.

Comment

I miss the modularity of the late 90's game engine. Quake 2 also had a seporate dll for game logic and the rendere. Most engine today seams to just throw it all in to one big exe

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
        I used to play Unreal once a year for a long time. Was massively into UT99 and loved Rune. No real reason to bring any of these titles to Vulkan. But I guess its a fun project to learn Vulkan.
        there is one reason to do it

to get OVER 9000! FPS

Comment

Yeah! I love UT99 and did a lot of work some years back improving the Unreal packages for Gentoo. It's a real ball ache though as it was built using g++ 2.95. In order to get anything to compile, I had to use a Debian Sarge guest. I haven't tried it in a long while and I suspect I'll run into more compatibility issues now. There was another effort to freshen it up a while back but it didn't get very far.

Comment

Probably only oldunreal.com project could benefit from it.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
              there is one reason to do it

to get OVER 9000! FPS
              Psh, that's what glxgears is for. When are we bringing that to Vulkan?

But yeah, I don't really get the point of this. For any Vulkan-compatible GPU, this would result in a 0% performance difference. On the other hand, projects like this could be very interesting for ARM platforms. There are compatibility layers for ARM to run x86 programs, which I'm guessing would have a lot of CPU overhead, even for something this old. The use of Vulkan could make for ultra low-power gaming systems, that are still responsive.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 06 February 2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

haha
                Can't wait to test this!

Comment

I don't know about you, but I'm more excited about the prospect of a native version of Deus Ex running on Linux using Vulkan than the Unreal and UT games.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Psh, that's what glxgears is for. When are we bringing that to Vulkan?

But yeah, I don't really get the point of this. For any Vulkan-compatible GPU, this would result in a 0% performance difference. On the other hand, projects like this could be very interesting for ARM platforms. There are compatibility layers for ARM to run x86 programs, which I'm guessing would have a lot of CPU overhead, even for something this old. The use of Vulkan could make for ultra low-power gaming systems, that are still responsive.
                    Already there. https://github.com/SaschaWillems/Vul...e/master/gears

Comment

Working...
                    X