RADV Starts Off Another Exciting Week Of Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
    I think you have to compile the kernel by yourself to get GC1 working, right? I also think HD79xx still don't work so well?
    Run this command:

zgrep AMDGPU /proc/config.gz

If you see CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI=y then your kernel has support for your card without recompiling (likely only kernel 4.9 and later).

Can't speak for SI but AMDGPU works well for me on a 290 (CIK). I wonder if CIK ought to be on by default by now, unless some issue I don't know about.

Originally posted by Evil Penguin View Post
    The work going towards this driver is much appreciated but won't it somewhat go to waste once the official driver from AMD comes out?
    ... or is it about having a good placeholder until that happens?
    There are at least two OpenGL implementations (Clover, AMDGPU-Pro) and you can choose to install one or the other. Don't see why there can't be two Vulkan implementations, except maintenance burden.
    Last edited by ResponseWriter; 30 January 2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

the official driver in the official linux kernel is the RadeonSI+AMDGPU driver.

the closed source driver IS NOT OFFICIAL.
      So, by official, you mean, in the Linux Kernel. Is that it?

Comment

the official driver in the official linux kernel is the RadeonSI+AMDGPU driver.

the closed source driver IS NOT OFFICIAL.
        Hah... that's funny to hear after years of "the open source driver is not official because I don't download it from amd.com and because some non-AMD developers contributed to it".
        Test signature

Comment

bridgman are you able to share anything new about the progress on opening up the AMD Vulkan driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
            bridgman are you able to share anything new about the progress on opening up the AMD Vulkan driver?
            And if not details, may be some rough ETA for completing this tedious process?

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
              [...]
              I wonder if CIK ought to be on by default by now, unless some issue I don't know about.
              [...]
              HDMI audio is not fully working until DAL/DC lands. That's at least what AMD devs were saying.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                HDMI audio is not fully working until DAL/DC lands. That's at least what AMD devs were saying.
                ... or until we (or someone) port the audio code from radeon to amdgpu (for SI).
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
                  At this rate, AMD open-sourcing their Vulkan driver is going to be near-pointless.
                  pointlessness works both ways

Comment

best example for this they write to you about a AMDGPU-pro bug and you write back they should write a AMDGPU/Radeon bug-report because the time-pipe process of bug-fixing in the closed driver is "2-4 month" at minimum. and people are really confused by this ... the open driver do have bug-fix pipe timeline of maybe 1-2 days. I had such bug's and bugrepots and bugfixes in the past.
                    If the problem is in common code between open and hybrid drivers (which initially seemed to be the case assuming you are talking about discussion with Amarildo) then why not use the open source development process to fix it ?

Please don't use quotation marks ("2-4 month") to suggest I said something that I did not. As always, feel free to quote what I actually say though, as long as it is not taken out of context.

For example, quoting me saying "yes" but implying it was my response to a different question would not be acceptable
                    Last edited by bridgman; 30 January 2017, 03:58 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

... or until we (or someone) port the audio code from radeon to amdgpu (for SI).
                      Generally it seems that all the code anyone is asking for, already exists in some place(s)....

Comment

Working...
                      X