X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arakan94
    replied
    Originally posted by gutigone View Post
    I told you here https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...394#post926394 how useless it was to post an article of "it's been x time since a new vulkan version" and oh look here it is.
    You are cute.. "I told him to stop and he didn't do as I said!" Why should he? You are not even representative sample of Phoronix readers.. Many are actually interested in new versions and what they bring (and do not want to go through changelogs).

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Why are the extensions with methods ending with a number?

Why are these extensions and not part of the core?

Vulkan will just be a random collection of extensions?
    If they are extensions, are they optional?
    If they are in the official specification, are they still extensions?

Is this really a nice API?
    (I'm going by my OpenGL understanding here)

Because it's easier to create an extension than amending the core spec, so experimental features can be pushed out faster and iterated.

No, I expected the same model as OpenGL; eventually those extensions that have proven to be useful and have real-world usage will be wrapped up in the next core release.

Yes, they are optional. In the same sense that version 1.1 is optional as long as you support 1.0. It's not that big of a difference, just semantics.

Yes, they are. Extensions can be vendor-specific, vendor-neutral or officially sanctioned by Khronos. The main distinguishing feature of an extension is that it is a diff against a core spec version, which enhances it by a smaller amount of functionality.

Leave a comment:

• gutigone
    replied
    Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
    I'm starting to feel Micheal should take a zero tolerance policy on unconstructive posts and trolls (and their multiple accounts). It's sad to check comments and only see toxic posts; the forum isn't being used properly at all anymore.

Delete, ban and don't bother responding to any complaints since that's their main goal.
    You say unconstructive, I say feedback to let Michael know what articles are not actually interesting and quite useless to post about other than content-pushing for clicks.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Why are the extensions with methods ending with a number?

Why are these extensions and not part of the core?

Vulkan will just be a random collection of extensions?
    If they are extensions, are they optional?
    If they are in the official specification, are they still extensions?

Is this really a nice API?

Leave a comment:

• Polarina
    replied
    Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    Seems like a violation of SemVer rules to add features to a 1.0 release and then bump the patch version instead of the minor version.
    There is no violation of semantic versioning here. The new functionality are extensions and not part of Vulkan 1.0. Metaphorically, you can think of them like plugins you can install for your web browser. Equivalently, browsers don't bump their major nor minor versions each time a new plugin is released.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    You do realize though that is not support but just boilerplate updates for ir?

Leave a comment:

• nuetzel
    replied
    And still in:
    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...e5d596af86160d
    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...fa69e9225c1400

Thank you Dave!

Leave a comment:

• mmstick
    replied
    Seems like a violation of SemVer rules to add features to a 1.0 release and then bump the patch version instead of the minor version.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Originally posted by gutigone View Post
    I told you here https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...394#post926394 how useless it was to post an article of "it's been x time since a new vulkan version" and oh look here it is.
    Why not tho? When you think about it aren't news in all ways shape or form pretty much useless like 99% of the time anyways? And your comments? Even more useless.

Leave a comment:

• Ouroboros
    replied
    I'm starting to feel Micheal should take a zero tolerance policy on unconstructive posts and trolls (and their multiple accounts). It's sad to check comments and only see toxic posts; the forum isn't being used properly at all anymore.

Delete, ban and don't bother responding to any complaints since that's their main goal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X