Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lots Of Vulkan To Be Had At GDC 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lots Of Vulkan To Be Had At GDC 2017

    Phoronix: Lots Of Vulkan To Be Had At GDC 2017

    The Khronos Group has published their booth information and sessions that will happen at this year's Game Developers Conference (GDC 17) at the start of March in San Francisco...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-2017-Sessions

  • #2
    I can only find one Valve guy (Joe) attending GDC. Does anyone know if Valve will have more people / talks there?

    Comment


    • #3
      Yaaaay, can't wait! I'm heading over there, just like last year. Valve had a great guy there last year, very friendly and easy to talk to.

      Comment


      • #4
        I hope there's some decent talks this time around. I feel very underwhelmed by the lack of good technical talks about how to optimize and fine tune Vulkan, what works and what doesn't, stuff that actually help other developers. The talks from e.g. the Steam dev days were really disappointing; we don't need more PR talks about people who think it's great, we need to see examples of why and how.

        Comment


        • #5
          Michael, please don't take it for granted that all acronyms that you invent will automatically be understood by all your readers. You did it the correct way with "GDC" (write out at the first use and put the acronym in brackets), but you missed a couple of others:

          VRDC = Virtual Reality Developers Conference (a sub-conference that happens to take place during the GDC 17)
          D3D12 = Direct 3D version 12 (a graphics API developed by Microsoft)
          BOF = ??

          What the f**k is a BOF? a boyfriend? I guess not.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
            What the f**k is a BOF? a boyfriend? I guess not.
            First thing that come in mind is `Breath of Fire` (well I was a RPG gamer back then) lol. I do a little search about this acronym, and it turns out to be 'Birds of a feather' which is not so obvious to me either.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm not familiar with the term "BOF", but everyone who reads this article should know what "D3D" is.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                I'm not familiar with the term "BOF", but everyone who reads this article should know what "D3D" is.
                I would actually not place my money on that; there may be new users that just don't know. And it's not their fault. Nowadays Microsoft is not that omnipresent it was five years ago. (Fortunately!) On top of that, general ignorance has increased and even hardcore Microsoft enthusiasts that don't know what D3D means.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mr_tawan View Post

                  First thing that come in mind is `Breath of Fire` (well I was a RPG gamer back then) lol. I do a little search about this acronym, and it turns out to be 'Birds of a feather' which is not so obvious to me either.
                  How on earth should I, or anyone else have guessed! Michael, this is a really terrible example of an acronym. Even if you know the words, you can't get the meaning of it! This is like using another language (Russian, for Michael's sake) in this mostly English forum.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                    I would actually not place my money on that; there may be new users that just don't know. And it's not their fault. Nowadays Microsoft is not that omnipresent it was five years ago. (Fortunately!) On top of that, general ignorance has increased and even hardcore Microsoft enthusiasts that don't know what D3D means.
                    Yeah, right!
                    There are so many who know Vulkan and have never heard of D3D…

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X