No announcement yet.

Valve Developer Andres Rodriguez Lands First Patches Into RADV Vulkan Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah or when that Smach Z handheld ship in april to backers, guess what driver it will have... most likely something that debianxfce will come with a link and say use this - that is the best

So user can choose there either TF2 to lockup or Witcher 2 to missrender

Not everything is Xeon and Fury combo, Zen and Vega, etc... things down there with APUs are even more CPU bound on mesa... without shader cache and threaded GL it would be shit

Beautuful, at least they baked it with Windows 10 support also so probably most will just use that again

Bridgman, do you support that embedded RX-421BD with PRO on Linux? List claim no APU support still Is it something on the sky, is it a bird, rocket or just Superman does not write changleogs

Last edited by dungeon; 14 January 2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      snip
      A bit unrelated but roughly when is the next AMDGPU-PRO release?
      And will the vulkan performance regressions from 16.50 be addressed?
      For now it's an important driver, because it's the only performant vulkan driver on linux for AMD graphics cards.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        Valve was always in this for the longhaul, I don't think it really means that they will make their own Linux based console.
        AMD has strong amd64- CPUs, strong GPUs, HBM2 and a small 14nm process. It looks like they won't bring this to retail on one chip quite soon for a price that's able to compete with consoles. So what would you do if you were Valve and AMD was nice enough to open their drivers for you to improve them however you like it?

I really hope we won't call the result "console" but IBM- compatible PC, it also wouldn't matter for Valves' type of business to build a closed ecosystem, but who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
          AMD has strong amd64- CPUs, strong GPUs, HBM2 and a small 14nm process. It looks like they won't bring this to retail on one chip quite soon for a price that's able to compete with consoles. So what would you do if you were Valve and AMD was nice enough to open their drivers for you to improve them however you like it?

I really hope we won't call the result "console" but IBM- compatible PC, it also wouldn't matter for Valves' type of business to build a closed ecosystem, but who knows...
          Valve has said they will not build a closed ecosystem.
          But ya what they could do is sell a console with custom (non-PC) x86 hardware which runs steamOS.

Comment

They need to support Ubuntu LTS switch to 4.8 kernel, so likely feb.

Comment

Don't forget the workstation market... as long as workstation apps require compatibility profiles and Mesa does not support them we will continue to need the proprietary driver. Remember that was the reason we created amdgpu-pro in the first place - but it was also temporarily valuable in the consumer space until we had GL 4.5 support and decent performance in the open driver.

When we are finished the only significant difference between the two drivers will be the GL userspace bits plus any non-upstreamable kernel code (eg support for legacy APIs which require hard-pinning from userspace without the option of transparent eviction).

Or are you saying we are stupid for pursuing the workstation market in the first place ?
              Hi there Bridgman. Not that I'm against you making drivers but could the AMDGPU-PRO driver at least support GLVND (preferably ASAP)?
              It would make systems much more stable and less likely to break.
              Sounds important for the workstation market, with the APU's+discreteGPU fad being pushed by hardware vendors.
              Last edited by plonoma; 14 January 2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

And will the vulkan performance regressions from 16.50 be addressed?
                Should be in the next couple of weeks. Not sure about vulkan performance.
                Test signature

Comment

Should be in the next couple of weeks. Not sure about vulkan performance.
                  in future, AMDGPU-PRO will be available also for APU?? last time that i've tested AMDGPU-PRO on my notebook (A10 8700p carrizo APU) i had worse performance and higher temperature.

Comment

For those of you not understanding why the Pro driver is needed for enterprise, you have to understand how poorly written a lot of line-of-business apps are. I don't mean code quality so much as they tend not to follow any of the standards properly and they only integrate with certain software because of it. What surprises me is that there's enough line-of-business apps that run on Linux workstations to justify a Pro driver. None of the line-of-business apps that my clients work with run on or integrate with anything other than Microsoft or Adobe.

Comment

Actually i am running Amdgpu-pro 16.50 on an hp laptop with A10-8700p and it works great. I got the same temperate as when i ran windows on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X