Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vkQuake 0.91 Released, Continues Advancing Quake With Vulkan

Phoronix: vkQuake 0.91 Released, Continues Advancing Quake With Vulkan

Released yesterday was the newest build of vkQuake, the open-source game project developing a Vulkan renderer for the original Quake game based upon the QuakeSpasm code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why?

A Vulkan port wont offer improved graphics and the potential performance improvements are negligible in such an old game that runs fast on pretty much any hardware or even without a dedicated GPU.

Vulkan is much more needed for modern games such as Doom 3.

Comment

I think this is less a matter of graphics and performance but more for playing around a bit with a modern API. It's probably going to be a great resource for developers getting into Vulkan.

And I seriously doubt you can call a 2004 game like Doom 3 "modern". That game runs a locked 60 FPS on pretty much every potato nowadays, even my Kaveri-based notebook had hardly any trouble doing so, and even though it does still look rather decent, it's ancient technology. Vulkan is needed for future AAA Linux ports so that we get more than 20% of Windows performance.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Why?
        vkQuake serves as a Vulkan demo application that shows basic usage of the API. For example it demonstrates render passes and sub passes, pipeline barriers, compute shaders, CPU/GPU parallelism and memory pooling.
        https://raw.githubusercontent.com/No...ster/readme.md

Apart from that, DOOM 3 is far from modern.

Comment

Why?

A Vulkan port wont offer improved graphics and the potential performance improvements are negligible in such an old game that runs fast on pretty much any hardware or even without a dedicated GPU.

From Github:

vkQuake serves as a Vulkan demo application that shows basic usage of the API. For example it demonstrates render passes and sub passes, pipeline barriers, compute shaders, CPU/GPU parallelism and memory pooling.
          Edit: juno beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
            I think this is less a matter of graphics and performance but more for playing around a bit with a modern API. It's probably going to be a great resource for developers getting into Vulkan.

And I seriously doubt you can call a 2004 game like Doom 3 "modern". That game runs a locked 60 FPS on pretty much every potato nowadays, even my Kaveri-based notebook had hardly any trouble doing so, and even though it does still look rather decent, it's ancient technology. Vulkan is needed for future AAA Linux ports so that we get more than 20% of Windows performance.
            It doesn't run locked. IIRC from watching the FPS counter it has break points to minimize stuttering. If the game thinks your rig can't handle 90 fps it'll cap at 60. Or 90 if it can't handle 120 and so on.

Comment

Maybe I should have written "can run" (i.e. using vsync) instead of "runs", but what I meant is that today's hardware is more than capable of delivering stable framerates. In any case, it's a nice game, not too long since I've actually played it.

Comment

Why?

Cuz programmers like to do things that are fun and where they learn.

Comment

Why?
                  They can. And With this you can Play this game, even if OpenGL vanish. Or maybe on a new future GPU vendor that only support vulkan and such apis.

Comment

The much more advanced Quake engine FTEQW also has a well working vulkan renderer, see:
                    Download FTE QuakeWorld for free. FTE QuakeWorld is a QuakeWorld derivative which mainly focuses on modding and additional features for both users and servers. Supports NetQuake gamecode and protocol, Hexen 2/Quake 2/Quake 3 maps and models, many QuakeC builtin extensions, and more.

Precompiled binaries are here:

Comment

Working...
                    X