No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Introduces VK_NVX_device_generated_commands Extension To Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As somebody who gets upset over vendor specific extensions, I understand that anybody and everybody CAN implement this, but they won't. They didn't with OpenGL so what makes you think they will this time around? If it's good enough, it'll be pulled into the core but what about the (eventually) hundreds that don't?

Developers using vendor specific extensions IS going to happen as long as they exist, and it's only going to fuck the users over.

Comment

Some extensions are great, and others are nothing but poison pills.

This one seems legitimate to me, so good for NVidia. This time.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        As somebody who gets upset over vendor specific extensions, I understand that anybody and everybody CAN implement this, but they won't. They didn't with OpenGL so what makes you think they will this time around? If it's good enough, it'll be pulled into the core but what about the (eventually) hundreds that don't?

Developers using vendor specific extensions IS going to happen as long as they exist, and it's only going to fuck the users over.
        Vendor specific extensions are essential to push the standards forward, and they let developers experiment with future features.

Such extensions has been one of the greatest assests for OpenGL, and will become so for Vulkan as well. But this is not unique for Khronos' APIs, there have been extensions to Direct3D for years, but not to the same extent as OpenGL.

Comment

This functionality is not possible in an API designed like OpenGL.
          What are "the hundreds" you are talking about?
          While I can basically follow your message and agree to some some degree, we should check the facts first.
          However, I'm still wondering why Nvidia, not AMD handed this in since GCN can do it and it actually is done on consoles. And it is also something that has been asked for by devs:
          what's kinda funny is that, I pitched the idea to @grahamsellers at SIGGRAPH 2015 and he was like "Why would you do that"?

Comment

How do standardize something that doesn't exist then? Talk about it for years and pray that you specify it so well that it will work from its first iteration?

Comment

Working...
            X