Intrinsic Is A Promising, Open-Source, Cross-Platform Vulkan Game Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intrinsic Is A Promising, Open-Source, Cross-Platform Vulkan Game Engine

Phoronix: Intrinsic Is A Promising, Open-Source, Cross-Platform Vulkan Game Engine

Ever hear of the Intrinsic game engine? Neither have we, until The Khronos Group mentioned it this morning as a new game engine focused on Vulkan support that was open-sourced last week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It was said in the Vulkan early days, that to fully take advantage of the new API you need to build the engine around it, so lets that be the trend from now on.

Comment

Kudos to the developers, I really hope they continue developing it.
      There isn't any laking of C++ engines though. It would be awesome to see more C engines

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
        There isn't any laking of C++ engines though. It would be awesome to see more C engines
        C? What advantage would that give you? No stl/c++ runtime dependencies? I wont burn a scarecrow assuming that you had performance in mind.

Comment

New C++ compilers can have a lot smaller overhead than before. If you are interested, here is a very recent presentation of using C++17 to write a simple game for Commodore 64:

http://CppCon.org—Presentation Slides, PDFs, Source Code and other presenter materials are available at: https://github.com/cppcon/cppcon2016—The Commodore 6...

Although it has C64 in the title (you can safely skip C64-oriented parts), the presentation is actually about new optimisations that can significantly reduce number of generated assembly instructions - so much that you can write a C++ code that when compiled is very fast and very short.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post

C? What advantage would that give you? No stl/c++ runtime dependencies? I wont burn a scarecrow assuming that you had performance in mind.
            For simplicity and fast compile time, could be a valid option to make small games.
            And for competitive games where you need high performance.
            or just to make crazy experiments.

Comment

ooooooooo shiny.

Comment

So I wanted to try it, but you can only compile it after downloading the physx SDK, which you can only do after registering with nvidia's developer program.

Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                  So I wanted to try it, but you can only compile it after downloading the physx SDK, which you can only do after registering with nvidia's developer program.

Nope.
                  Yup, got the same error when trying to compile. I hope they try to get rid of it soon

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post

Using C can help keep a consistent DOP approach. Some of the abstractions that C++ provides are sometimes a really bad thing when considering something like cache misses. The results are usually better than most people anticipate since most don't even give a thought to optimizing to architecture.

A simple optimization to a loop here or there just to stay within a cache line can be the difference in night and day in some cases. C++ just makes this more difficult when you have so many things going on behind the scenes. That's my two cents anyways.

Comment

Working...
                    X