Dota 2 Radeon OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance With Mesa Git, Linux 4.9-rc1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use a custom kernel, where you have removed all the unneeded drivers, then it will compile in 15 minutes. I have used a custom kernels a long time. Use make xconfig to configure the kernel. With dmesg and google search you will know your current hardware.
    or use this:

If you do be sure to load all modules needed before (plug all the usbs you use etc...).

I build a full kernel in about 15 minutes, so it's not worth to me.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      If devs develop on that fast machine, but test on Atoms/Cats i guess world will be better place

Comment

if I was working on the kernel, 15minutes would be way too much!

Comment

The notion that OpenGL is slow or that Vulkan should blow it out of the water is completely wrong. Proper, modern OpenGL will match(and surpass due to driver maturity) the performance of Vulkan. OpenGL persistent memory maps get you very close to what Vulkan offers.

Comment

or use this:

If you do be sure to load all modules needed before (plug all the usbs you use etc...).

It would be useful if there were an easy way to include all USB drivers after using modprobed-db, because even though there would be some drivers that are not needed, there also wouldn't be a situation where there was a driver missing for some USB device*. I haven't compiled too many kernels in my life (just sometimes, usually with way too many drivers), so maybe there is, but I just don't know it.

*well, ofc there aren't drivers for every single device in the world, but you know what I meant... all the USB devices Linux supports anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              Proper, modern OpenGL
              Do you know anyone in the real world using it? I mean the whole "AZDO" thing. Seems to be very nice in theory, but game developers seem to view it as "too complicated".
              For example: http://steamcommunity.com/app/465240...43389009395731

Comment

When you are working on kernel code you normally do incremental builds, where only the changed files get recompiled. That is much faster than a full kernel build, although building packages is still slower than I would like.
                Test signature

Comment

Why are the results for the RX 480 that bad? With everything maxed out and the same Padoka PPA on Ubuntu 16.10 I see about 50-60 FPS in Vulkan- Dota 2 with a resolution of 2560x1440 instead of ~35 FPS. That's pretty inconsistent compared to the results in the article.
                  I'm quite sure that the early state Vulkan implementation is CPU bound in Dota 2 at about 50 to 60 FPS with a 4 GHz CPU(same for mine) so the result for the RX 480 should match the R9 285- result.

Comment

Good that you are not working on libreoffice and wanna build it for 17 architectures... someone would manually setup full blown LinuxFromScratch earlier then that can finish

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
                      Why are the results for the RX 480 that bad? With everything maxed out and the same Padoka PPA on Ubuntu 16.10 I see about 50-60 FPS in Vulkan- Dota 2 with a resolution of 2560x1440 instead of ~35 FPS. That's pretty inconsistent compared to the results in the article.
                      Maybe story about broken compositors or that llvm used in this article was 15 dayst old, but padoka updated that yesterday.

Also if you run benchmark without phoronix suite that differ too, etc...

Comment

Working...
                      X