No announcement yet.

Dota 2 Radeon OpenGL vs. Vulkan Performance With Mesa Git, Linux 4.9-rc1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and vulkan+Talos is faster on verde chip, they call this "semi interesting" but i agree with haagch this is amazing

Comment

Originally posted by hansg View Post
      Wasn't Vulkan supposed to be faster than OpenGL? Running at half the frame rate does not do much to recommend it...
      It is faster already using both Dota and Talos, but with a blob driver.

Here it is WIP opensource implementation, so all pieces of the puzzle are probably not there yet

Vulkan is fine as multithread is for free, together with that adventage and if game utilize let say async compute, then voila... so, on proper VK render game done but also on proper drivers, it should go even above DX11

Comment

I cant understand why everyone is testing DX11 vs DX12 or OpenGL vs Vulkan on i7-4790K with extreme resolutions!

The main advantage of DX12 and Vulkan is the less CPU overhead. And still everyone is trying to benchmark with GPU bottleneck scenarios.

I have an outdated phenom X4 @ 3.8GHz and switching for example from DX11 to DX12 on Tomb Raider I was able to see fantastic difference in FPS..

Comment

Maybe we can ask Michael to make VK scalability testing so going down from say 960x540, then 1920x1080 and 4K... and why not even 8K, some improvise that too already

Comment

The only way to see scalability on VK is to run the game in 1080p from a dual core to i7 and then do the same with OpenGL

Comment

Well no, i would start with a very bottom of it... something like Temash APU as that support Vulkan too, that will probably run great Talos lowest at @960x540

Comment

That is how scalability works fro me, so whatever hardware supports Vulkan (including iGPUs of course). And then 4X and again 4X and again 4X and SLI... all to the unplayable

Comment

From a driver POV of course as that aim to supports various hardware, that is how it should be... but if driver aim to support only one hardware, then no one needs generic Vulkan, there is GNM for that

Comment

Unfortunately I have an nvidia gtx 970 that works well but vulkan and DX12 are not a friend of this GPU. I would like if it was possible to make some test with unity labs vulkan because there is no where to download it.
                    In addition I remember that at the beginning of the year mentioned that can have a benchmark vulkan for June or July that step?.
                    Benchmark unigine vulkan?. If someone knows something great!

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                      I cant understand why everyone is testing DX11 vs DX12 or OpenGL vs Vulkan on i7-4790K with extreme resolutions!

The main advantage of DX12 and Vulkan is the less CPU overhead. And still everyone is trying to benchmark with GPU bottleneck scenarios.

I have an outdated phenom X4 @ 3.8GHz and switching for example from DX11 to DX12 on Tomb Raider I was able to see fantastic difference in FPS..
                      That's not true at all. Pure FUD. Just look at doom.

Comment

Working...
                      X