No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Linux Vulkan Performance vs. RADV / AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing, these graphics cards can run dota 2 at 80+fps!

My microwave can also do that

Comment

Can someone explain WHY the AMD drivers have so much overhead on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by zakhrov View Post
        Because nividia cuts corners on standards to reduce overhead. They will always have lower overhead as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

Because nividia cuts corners.
          aka. Being efficient, something AMD isn't very good at atm.

Comment

Wow, pretty called impressed by the open drivers!
            I'dimagine they've a lot of performance work to do, yet they still manage to put up reasonable performances against dev teams many, many, many times their size.
            Yes, I realize that the last 5-10% is where so much time is spent

Comment

Originally posted by zakhrov View Post
              It is not only about AMD drivers and not only Linux, but general non nVidia OpenGL slowness

Actually this Dota case is considered optimized so OK, as there are much worse cases

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                I'm sorry.....but.... W..T...F..... is the GTX 950 doing beating every AMD card in 2 of the 3 tests and only lost to half of them at 4K

Grrrr....Red Team....I'm really wanting to upgrade my old Nvidia card to you guys, but man......losing to a 950 ?!?!?
                The graphs show a pretty obvious CPU bottleneck, so this won't be representative of the various cards' performance. Except here and there, where performance could be improved quite a bit, notably with radv.

Overall, the results are quite decent, it's quite relieving to see the Mesa results in line with the PRO ones for OpenGL.
                While there is still work to be done on radv, it's getting there rather quickly, and I expect "Red Team" to join the effort sooner than later. It wouldn't surprise me if they were already working on it, maybe even in coordination with David Airlie.

David, I shall buy you a beer if our paths ever cross

Comment

I don't care, my next card will be ATI. Fuck nGreedia, I can handle a 10 FPS loss if this means having a better driver and Wayland.
                  Especially when new AAA titles sucks! I'm stuck with CSGO, Civ5, Dwarf Fortress and XCom2. None of them are demanding in terms of GPU, all of them are SUPERIOR games.

Also, most of the corner-cutting efficiency of the nVidiar driver comes from bribing developers into optimizing for their platform. So fuck em.

ATI 4 life :love

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

Did you read the article?
                    Yeah, no OSS Vulkan for 4k. But AMD's proprietary Vulkan driver worked fine, as well as Nvidia's.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Yeah, no OSS Vulkan for 4k. But AMD's proprietary Vulkan driver worked fine, as well as Nvidia's.
                      You have earler articles on that, non X Fury beats there all nVidia's beside 1080

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                      X