Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Unity Vulkan Demos For Linux

Phoronix: Experimental Unity Vulkan Demos For Linux

Some of the exciting news this week was Unity releasing their Vulkan renderer in preview form and this initial debut did contain Linux support. There are now some unofficial Unity demos built for Linux with the Vulkan renderer enabled...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any information about the performance improvement? It's good news to see the RADV Radeon Vulkan driver working
    Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

What performance improvment? AFAIU it is already faster then GL rend in Dota 2 and Talos.

Comment

@dungeon: yeah, none of those games use unity, making this far from comparable.
        alpha_one_x86: I don't think there is much to
        thanks haagch

Comment

Damn, I was not ready and can't edit
          alpha_one_x86: I don't think there is much to say about performance at this point. We all know there is potential, but first they got to finish it and second is that it has to be done right.
          thanks haagch for testing it w/ radv

Comment

Oh nice, a video of me in a phoronix article, failing to realize it's vv.x86_64 instead of vv_x86_64 and then walking weirdly because I anwered a phone call in the middle of the video.

Currently both demos just segfault for some reason. Maybe llvm related because radv and llvm were the only things I updated and old radv builds segfault too...

Comment

And in the next video Talos misrender and locked up it seems, so weather is not good

Comment

I'm using the negativo17 nvidia drivers for Fedora 24, but I had to install the latest vulkan library from copr. Both unity demos are running on my GTX960 card.

dnf copr enable leigh123linux/Vulkan
                dnf -y install vulkan

Comment

Both demos render everything correctly on my PC (GTX 960, KDE, Manjaro Linux).. but the performance of the Viking scene is poor.. and at higher quality levels it alternates between running "okay", then runs much slower for a second, then "okay" again. Issues like these where expected from an experimental new render pipeline in their engine. Can't wait until they optimize this pipe more and we can start playing some actual Unity games with Vulkan.

Comment

the first one works on haswell, finally a vulkan app than works properly there

Comment

Working...
                    X