Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.10 Isn't Shipping Vulkan Support By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.10 Isn't Shipping Vulkan Support By Default

With Ubuntu 16.10 being right around the corner you may be wondering about its support for Vulkan. Here's my experience when trying out today's Ubuntu 16.10 "beta 2" release and looking for Vulkan support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I figured it's because Vulkan support is only supposed to work on the 6th gen Intel GPUs, which is unfortunate for me 'cause both my PCs are 4th gen.

I just want to run and test Vulkan code. It doesn't even have to run well.

Comment

Originally posted by PoVRAZOR View Post
      I figured it's because Vulkan support is only supposed to work on the 6th gen Intel GPUs, which is unfortunate for me 'cause both my PCs are 4th gen.

it also works on broadwell (5th gen)

Comment

is there a way to install the validation layers without building them from source?

Comment

Originally posted by PoVRAZOR View Post

it is working on my mid 2012 core i5 macbook air (ivy bridge), it just complains about a couple of fixmes, but I am able to run the cube sample from the loader source tree

Comment

As long as you can easily install them, it's a non-issue. They don't even ship with hardware video acceleration by default. Have to keep the install media size low, since some countries still have metered connections mostly.

Comment

It is not default on Debian Stable too, but available in backports

Comment

Intel's Vulkan driver is still buggy and incomplete, so why is this surprising?

Comment

Well, I would hope they would at least update Vulkan 1.0.21 to the latest version, Vulkan 1.0.28.

Comment

And that's one of the many reasons Linux fails on the desktop. Even when users want to try it, they can't use their hardware if it's the latest for many, many months, while Windows users get support from day one. Even when an open API is launched, real support might not come for years. That plus complete disregard towards usability is what drives people away from Linux even when they try it. Like replacing the xorg touchpad drivers (synaptics) with libinput, which doesn't support nearly as many configuration options as synaptics and doesn't work in any acceptable manner for many touchpad makers out there (line Synaptics and Elantech, which are in like 90% of all laptops). It's extremely senstitive and there isn't a way to adjust pressure for touch detection and minimum/maximum speeds, which is possible in the synaptics drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X