Feral Won't Say Yet If Their Newest Linux Game Will Support Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Metal was a natural choice for macOS because OpenGL is locked at 4.1 there and the game may need extensions only found in newer GL specs. I think MoltenVK (Vulkan on Metal) would be the better choice so that Mac and Linux could share a Vulkan code path and simplify the porting process.
    If os x doesn't support vulkan then screw os x. Vulkan is supported on Linux and Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
      don't see how you can only reach a fraction of a user base using vulkan compared to only using opengl on linux, I trully don't know anyone that uses linux and is not aware how to upgrade their drivers.
      I know it's a relatively small percentage but there are some of us out there that are still on Fermi cards. Fermi cards that nvidia promised would get Vulkan support only to come back later and say, "Just kidding!" Fermi cards that we would upgrade to Pascal cards if there were actually any in stock like EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Fermi cards that we would upgrade to Pascal cards if there were actually any in stock like EVER.
        I would upgrade to newer Radeon if it didn't cost much and I still got the same FPS on CS:GO. My GTX460 is still fast enough (sadly just with proprietary drivers), but for my other desktop I'm likely to replace the HD6670 with something Polaris next year when Zen is released. I don't think I'm buying any new Nvidia cards any more as AMD has so good open source support.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

I know it's a relatively small percentage but there are some of us out there that are still on Fermi cards. Fermi cards that nvidia promised would get Vulkan support only to come back later and say, "Just kidding!" Fermi cards that we would upgrade to Pascal cards if there were actually any in stock like EVER.
          late reply, have been ofline for a while. But I make point of always replying to polite people

This use case never crossed my mind, would indeed be a good reason.

Comment

Working...
          X